A couple custom Ruger Chargers

I have a Charger on which I've replaced the barrel and the wood. The barrel is a Hi-Desert Dog. The wood is a cut down 10/22 stock. I replaced the leather sling in the picture with a nylon setup that holds a spare mag (revolver speed loader pouch). I also replaced the front sight with a Hi Viz fiber optic setup. The barrel is threaded 1/2x28, though the thread protector is very thin and hides the fact that it's threaded.

stockx2.jpg

Here's a video with suppressor

big_smile.gif

Please notice the very short version of the Charger in the lower left of the picture. This uses a 2" barrel and a similar cut down 10/22 stock (not finished yet).

My issue with the "shorty" is that with such a short barrel, it won't cycle anything but the occasional stinger. If I can add a suppressor, that might help increase back pressure, but I'm not sure if there's enough room to clear the V-block. What other methods do you think might help increase the ability of this to cycle?

• Shortening the recoil spring?

• Lightening the bolt somehow?

• Polishing components?

I'm open to suggestions. Eventually, I'll be getting a second Charger that'll be devoted to the shorty configuration, rather than swapping it back and forth. Until then, I have a spare recoil spring assembly and I'm looking for a spare bolt to lighten up. I have no idea what areas are safe to mill out on the bolt however.

*note* I've also posted this in a Ruger forum, but I thought some folks here might have some ideas too.

Edited by Corbin
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen lightened bolts for sale. Reducing the strength of the recoil spring is a great place to start, as well as polishing all the bolt surfaces that contact the receiver - polishing the inside of the receiver might be a little trickier, not sure how that works working with aluminum. Definitely polish the FCG components. Be very very cautious in using a suppressor. With such a short barrel, your chances of the bullet failing to stabilize, resulting in a baffle strike, are higher. Most any commercial ammunition will remain subsonic with such a short barrel.

I have a Charger that's fairly similar, except that I've left the chopped-down stock unfinished, the barrel is stainless, and I have a rail on the receiver - it has a very "space pirate" look to it.

There is a 10/22 forum with lots of methods people have done to ligten the bolt. Most round the hump down on the back of the bolt and drill a bunch of holes part way through from the sides of the bolts. Obviously they usually do this progressively until they achieve the desired effects. (running lighter ammo and faster cycling, for fanning gatling mechanisms and bump fire)

• 1 month later...

Who did that stock work? Haha thing looks awesome with the suppressor!

And also, when I had that barrel, I shortened the recoil spring just a little, and added a recoil buffer. It still didn't function 100%

Edited by Reedus