Why would I want a trust or llc

I want to buy a supressor but I'm not sure I understand the point of having a Trust or LLC set up to place it in as an asset. I understand I can own one personally and I'm not sure what the advantage is of setting it up any differntly. I would love to own a FA weapon but I don't see paying 15k for a pre 86 M16. I'm hoping someone can point out what the advantages are, and if it makes owning class 3 weapons easier or less expensive all in all I'm quite confused. Thanks in advance

You sidestep the CLEO sign off, fingerprints, photograph, and FBI check of the fingerprints. They say this speeds up the process, which I haven't yet noticed. I do feel that ATF really doesn't need my photo.

Many local Sheriffs simply will not sign off. With a Trust, you can include your wife, so she can legally have access when you are not around. If you get multiple items, there is no need to visit the Sheriff's office each time.

If your CLEO will sign off and you only intend to get 1 item, then a Trust is not practical. But then again, you are venturing into Lays potato chips territory. biggrin.png

What I like the best is no LEO signoff hassles and confidentiality from every yahoo in a dept.

Gives you seperate, more specific control of the items use, possession, transfer, etc.

Cheers,

Harv

P.S. if you're in KY, Im waiting to hear back from another law firm (other than Goldman) to see if they can get aligned with a KY lawyer to do NFA specific trusts for about $400 instead of about $650/700 at Goldman. - and no I dont particularfly want to use a DIY plan or copy someone else's trust papers.

Yeah when you find a firm let me know. I have a couple of trial lawyers in the family and they understood why and how trust are used for estates, but had no idea it could be used for firearms. Not wanting to violate federal law I'll go with someone who knows everything about it