74 brake question

I have my rifle currently threaded for 14x1 lh right now and have a birdcage flash hider right now. Would it be more cost effective to get an adapter and solder or weld it on since they are notorious for coming off or loose and putting on the brake that way or swap the whole fsb for the 74 fsb. Or on the other hand just get a primary weapons systems brake/ flash hider combo. Just curious what your opinions are and if anyone has experience with the PWS brake and is it really worth the money.

If your rifle's already threaded for 14x1 LH, I'd probably just go with a muzzle device meant for that threading.. cause to effectively use a 74-type brake, you'd need to replace the FSB.

A good 74-type brake isn't exactly cheap: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16986&cat=344&page=1 so with that and a new FSB you're at ~$100.. about the same as the FSC47.

thanks post I will probably go that route, I had a chance to shoot one with the 74 brake the other day and it is effective but it seems to redirect more blast noise toward the shooter, I wonder if that would be the case with the fsc47 brake.

I have the FSC- 47. I would say that it does work in keeping the front end down for follow up shots. Is it worth the money? I guess that is a hard question to answer. I paid my money belligerently. In the end yes I am satisfied. I think you will notice an increase in noise with most muzzle brakes. It seems to come along with the package. The Battle Comp is a nother very good muzzle brake but, it is even more expensive than the FSC-47. Yikes!

Edited by Son Of Jared

Or you could just buy the AK-74 style brake that CSS sells for $21

AK74 STYLE MUZZLE BRAKE-SAIGA RIFLE AK47

SKU: AK74-BRAKE

SAIGA 223, 5.45x39, 7.62X39 and AK47's

SAIGA RIFLES MUST BE THREADED 14 x 1 LH TO USE

MADE IN THE USA DPH ARMS

PRICE: $21.95

AK74BRK.jpg

MADE IN THE USA DPH ARMS

AK74BRK.jpg

Sure, if you want a fishing weight. That muzzle device is not a faithful reproduction of the 74-type brake, so it's not very effective.

MADE IN THE USA DPH ARMS

AK74BRK.jpg

Sure, if you want a fishing weight. That muzzle device is not a faithful reproduction of the 74-type brake, so it's not very effective.

A slant brake would be far more effective at combating muzzle rise than those crappy repops. My actual 74 brakes have the wider bottom portion than the top, holes in the top and the zig zag cuts. That thing lacks all those features.

^ The slant brake is definitely better than a bare muzzle, but the only reason that the Tapco "74-style" brake is at all effective is because of the basic weight of the steel.

On Thursday, I'll post video of my proper 74-type brake using the Slide Fire stock, (pseudo-FA), vs a bare muzzle. ;)

• Like 1