Magazine Knowlege?

Hello gentlemen. OK to start i live in NY and can only use pre ban 30 round mags. So do they even make pre ban .223 mags or will the 5.56 ones work.

i do realize to use these pre ban mags i will have to install a bullet guide, will that be all i have to do? then once the bullet guide is in place can i still use my Saiga 10 round mags? or a Saiga 30 round mag?

I see Saiga 30 round mags go for $28.95 or so, what can i expect to pay for pre ban mags and where is the best place to find them?

Guys i wanna thank you in advance for any info provided....

Preban mags are hard to find and they aren't cheap. 5.56 will work just fine. Old Norninco Chinese 223/5.56 mags should meet the age requirment. Most of the ones I've seen have been $70-$100 each. No really good place to find them. It's hit and miss. Continous searching of the internet is the best bet. Guns shows as well.

Yep you'll need a bullet guide. To use Saiga 10 rnd mags you'll have to shave the feed lip off of the front of the mag. 30 rnd Saiga mags too, but you can't have those.

You may be better of going with an AR mag adapter. Preban AR mags are much easier to locate and less expensive.

I can echo what Liberty-r-death has said, he is right on all counts. You will find that the 5.56 mags will work just fine, but they are far from reasonable in price. Most I have seen are in the price range listed above.

If you really want an AK in .223/5.56 go for it otherwise I would go with 7.62, 5.45 or maybe the mag adapter to offset price.

Edited by Pyzik

there are only two kinds of pre ban mags that will work in a s .223 german weigers(check gunbroker/google them)....and ar mag adapter...BTW all german weigers are pre ban

But make sure you get the real Weigers, not the Romanian knock-offs (which are longer, among other differences).

• 1 month later...

I live in NY as well and from the research I've done it seems that galil mags will work once you install the bullet guide. I just installed my bulle guide last night and now am waiting on a pair of galil mags. Onec there here I'll five you my findings

So I got the mags today... Pre-ban 35 galil... I only had a few minutes so I threw 10 rounds in each and headed out back.. There was a little side to side wobble but not to bad.. 9 rounds went thru great... the last, not so much... It jammed up... I talked to a friend who's all about AK's.. he said to change the follower and if I want change the base plate to the mags (witch adds 2 compliance parts) and that should solve that issue.. Hope this helps