Remington Accutip Sabot Ammo

ACCURACY. These are not stable at all in smoothbores. They flip. You could use them with a rifled choke but I'm not sure how well that works.

"Rifled" slugs are somewhat accurate in smoothbores because they have all their weight forward like a dart / badminton birdie. Hollow on the inside except the tip (right side on pic below)

accutip is similar to one on the left

qnl95l.jpg

• Like 1

What he said. They are safe, but not accurate inside a smooth bore. They are not safe inside a choked barrel, because the saboted bullet doesn't have any "give" to squeeze through the constriction.

From what I have read of other people's tests they outperform fosters and brenekes out of a rifled choke, but don't do as well as they would from a fully rifled slug barrel. So pretty much exactly what you would expect.

Unless you have a rifled choke, they are a dumb buy. The packaging on my rifled choke says it is intended for sabots, except for Remmington's solid copper sabots, so if you plan to use a rifled choke, make sure to get sabots that are not solid copper. Most of the sabot loads are basically muzzle loader bullets wrapped in a plastic shell.

Oh, and the design feature that differentiates the brenneke slugs from fosters is that the wadding is a tail that stays attached to the slug, whereas the fosters separate.

What he said. They are safe, but not accurate inside a smooth bore. They are not safe inside a choked barrel, because the saboted bullet doesn't have any "give" to squeeze through the constriction.

It is not unsafe to fire a sabot slug through a choke. The projectile is significantly smaller than the tightest choke. And the sabot is easily deformed to squeeze through the choke.

This is obvious if you think about it. If you sell a slug that is dangerous with any choke you will be in a class action lawsuit in 30 minutes or less.

Which doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Sabot slugs will always tumble out of a smoothbore (with the exception of fin-stabilized slugs).

Edited by Darth Saigus

Well, I generalized. It depends on the specific design. I know there have been sabots that were not safe to fire though choked barrel. Some of the casings that surround the bullet are solid hard plastic, that would not be safe, and there are also full caliber copper slugs on the market. I have only seen those latter as a re-loadable option though.