FSB detent and spring in a sporter FSB

Has anyone installed a spring and detent for a muzzle brake to a stock sporter FSB?

If so, how did you do it? Just drill the holes for the spring/detent and the cross pin to hold them in?

What size holes and how did you figure out how to place the holes?

Pics would be helpful.

Edited by canoecanoe

Not worth it. Get a complete AKM or AK-74 FSB.

An AKM-type detent spring needs to have the FSB removed from the barrel to insert/remove the detent pin. The retaining pin secures the pin inside of the FSB.

An AK-74 type FSB uses a retaining plug to hold the detent pin/spring inside. It can be assembled without removal from the barrel.

Either way, where are you going to get the small detent pin, spring, retaining pin/plug? Good luck ever finding these parts by themself outside of a complete FSB assembly.

Edited by mancat

If you are careful and really want to get off cheap, you can drill the hole 1/8 inch then use the drill bit for the pin. The retaining cross pin is not necessary if you are just looking to retain the muzzle attachment in its proper position. I've had several come into the shop this way, works fine until you decide on the upgrade you finally want.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. The spring and detent pin are not hard to find and they are cheap (about $4).I already have them. I plan on using a drill bit shank for the cross pin. So the parts are really cheap.

I don't think it will be hard to drill the holes. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and has information on the hole locations.

It seems like this would be a lot less trouble than replacing the FSB.

If you are careful and really want to get off cheap, you can drill the hole 1/8 inch then use the drill bit for the pin. The retaining cross pin is not necessary if you are just looking to retain the muzzle attachment in its proper position. I've had several come into the shop this way, works fine until you decide on the upgrade you finally want.

This is basically what I did with my 7.62 x 39 Saiga back in 2006, but I notched the detent pin like normal so it could be retained by the blind pin as I recall. Sold that gun awhile back though to get the money to buy an Akdal 1919, I can look for some pics if you need. Otherwise check with member Saiga Power about it.