Stock set weight. looking for opinions.

I currently have my saiga set up in a dragunov configuration. And I have to admit I feel like its a bit heavy for plinking..

So I am currently looking at 2 different options..

A timbersmith laminated wood stock set. pros- gorgeous, classic

or just plain old tapco standard length butt with a hogue grip... pros- cheap, blacktical (but i have an ar for that)

I assume the wood will weigh more.. but how much more? I love the look of the wood but if it will weigh significantly more ill just go polymer..

So any opinions? did you go wood and switch to poly? or vice versa..

thoughts?

post-40814-0-57195600-1337137822_thumb.jpg

I have something similar to that on my 7.62x39, it is very heavy. The wood will be lighter buy a good bit. You can go with aluminum the Red Jacket Skeleton http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1166/Red-Jacket-Sons-Of/Detail

Or the CSS Raptor http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1379/Carolina-Tactical-Raptor-Billet/Detail I have the Raptor on my 223 with a folder and really like it. Both of these aluminum stocks will require you to cut the tang and install the back plate.

If you go wood, definitely go with Ironwood. None of these options are cheap, but you have to pay for quality

I don't reccomend Timbersmith. They look nice, but I just took mine off. The wood feels "cheap", and the stock is so incredibly uncomfortable and did not fit my shoulder well. You really had to work to line up the sights.

Plastic will be lighter than wood.

• Like 1

6" 3" with monkey arms, the LOP on the timbersmith will just piss you off. Since people are recommending poly, go with a Magpul adjustable. A lot easier to get the right LOP. If you do go with ironwood, give them a call and talk to them about getting the stock the right length.

did you try a massive buttpad for the timbersmith. Looking at pictures I got the same feeling it would be short.... thought maybe a big old butt pad would fix it.... again thanks for your info.

As for the magpul.... im in New Yorkistan adjustable not allowed. :I(

That said.... anyone have a used black timbersmith stock set they want to sell? :)

Kitchen scale says:

K-Var polymer stock: Nearly 11 ounces. (Tapco will be about one ounce more if I recall correctly).

Comblock wood stock: 14 ounces.

Not a big difference. However, neither will feature as comfortable a cheekweld for that stock as your current stock.

Personally, I like the look of wood but find polymer to be more functional.

• Like 1

Kitchen scale says:

K-Var polymer stock: Nearly 11 ounces. (Tapco will be about one ounce more if I recall correctly).

Not a big difference. However, neither will feature as comfortable a cheekweld for that stock as your current stock.

What this country needs is a good & cheap carbon fiber stock. OK then, I'd settle for good.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Kitchen scale says:

The lightest AK I have has the KVAR stock. However, even a NATO length stock is a little awkward with an optic. 8.5 inch stocks are impossible. And Warsaw length are workable with an AK recoil pad to add an inch. As far as wood stocks, milsurp wood stocks are about $15 and look good with sanding and refinish. Plus the milsurp ones are laminated and have steel reinforcement pins in them.

Edited by Jaba1017