turning a saiga .223 into an ar only difference is this one will be reliable

first thread barrel to 1/2x28 then add birdcage flash adapter using tap and die from cnc warrior

then install chaos rail with vertical forearm http://www.chaosus.c...A_762_QUAD_RAIL

then install tws dogleg scope mount with back up iron sights and red dot

then install ar15 mag adapter

then install ak to ar pistol grip adapter and use some kind of ar pistol grip http://store.carolin...IGA-AK47/Detail

remove side scope mount rail and isntall this ambidextrous saftey

install this saftey on other side

either use the vltor stock adapter http://store.carolin...47-STOCK/Detail

or use bonesteels

only thing i feel like im missing is a left side charging handle

tell me what you guys think

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor links removed

I was on the fence between a AR 180 or a .223 saiga with a mag adapter for a while myself...

then stormi bought me a MSA magwell...

Do you call the guy who buys you a single part for a gun you want to build a asshole? I mean really...

Anyway. I'll be barking up this tree pretty soon. I have a .223 long barrel on layaway that i owe exactly $0.99 on.

LRBHO? overrated, without bolt release.

accuracy? okay, maybe. But i want to try the science experiment I did with a x39 on a more accurate round while throwing in a few more tricks.

Fun? you got the right idea.

well a couple things..

I see no need for an AR grip adapter when there are plenty of reasonable offerings that are already AK specific.. I run a hogue.. it is great..

you are talking about adding a million miles of metal rail to an already heavy rifle? for what reason.. I run a traditional AK front handguard and an ultimak tube.. it is enough for my Aimpoint red dot.. and an offset flashlight mount.. so I have a light and a dot on one small light piece of rail.. win win..

as for all the other left side charging handing.. add on safety.. etc.. the wonderful reliability that is an AK is partially found in its simplicity... make the gun fit your shooting style.. but don't go nuts adding things that don't make it WORK better..

you do not have to build a gun that I would like.. but just think before you modify..

"will this modification make the gun work better.."

"will this modification hurt the performance in any way"

if you are not asking those questions BEFORE you select modifications you are following the wrong path IMO..

• Like 1

i agree the hogue is awesome....the rails and the red dot are the only things adding weight....everything else is just using ar style components instead of ak stuff.....i understand you would never need this much rails it would be a fun rifle home defense not SHTF gun cause your right it prob would be to heavy.....i got the inspiration from cobras gun check his out and tell me it doesn't look sweet .......http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/44199-show-me-your-chaos-mounted-rails/page__st__90

this is my gun now just so you dont think im a ar fanboy.... i love traditional ak's too 2012-05-21_20-53-51_622.jpg

Edited by smeeg

cnc warrior also makes 74 style mb in 1/2 x28 and they make slant brakes in 1/2 x 28 and phantom flash hider........ i think 1/2x28 gives you a lot of options

There are a ton of options in 14x1lh, plus they are easy to find.

Good luck on your build.

i agree the hogue is awesome....the rails and the red dot are the only things adding weight....everything else is just using ar style components instead of ak stuff.....i understand you would never need this much rails it would be a fun rifle home defense not SHTF gun cause your right it prob would be to heavy.....i got the inspiration from cobras gun check his out and tell me it doesn't look sweet .......http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/44199-show-me-your-chaos-mounted-rails/page__st__90

this is my gun now just so you dont think im a ar fanboy.... i love traditional ak's too

it is not about being a fanboy.. I have an AR and am an AR fanboy.. but I also have an AK.. when I first got into guns I immediately put rail systems and other nonsense on all my rifles.. it was the thing.. had to have forward grips and all that.. then I started to use them.. and when I say use them.. I mean REALLY use them.. and I realized that a lot of that stuff made the gun heavier.. and a gun that is heavier than it NEEDS to be is a liability.. ultimately.. you want the lightest most agile gun to accomplish whatever task you are setting forth to do.. I do not believe that society is just going to go up in smoke tomorrow.. and that we will be living in some crazy post apocalyptic world.. but I do believe events like Katrina could occur.. where it is necessary for good honest law abiding citizens to depend on themselves for protection.. due to this.. I own a small collection of firearms.. every one serves a practical distinct purpose.. and every one works for me as the operator..

when I started to really USE the guns.. and really get genuine range time... having to lug the weapon around all day.. transition.. shoot.. move.. reload.. the advantage came from speed.. and speed was obtained by having a light gun that operated as simply as possible..

i agree the hogue is awesome....the rails and the red dot are the only things adding weight....everything else is just using ar style components instead of ak ]when I started to really USE the guns.. and really get genuine range time... having to lug the weapon around all day.. transition.. shoot.. move.. reload.. the advantage came from speed.. and speed was obtained by having a light gun that operated as simply as possible..

I agree with this. Make it as light as possible. If you look at the AK training and drill videos most of the maneuvers are near impossible or very cumbersome with add ons on the rifle. You don't really need rails for the sake of rails. If you want to mount an optic you need either the side rail, a beryl rail, a dust cover rail, or a gas tube rail. But you don't need rails in all three places. Or even worse, side rails and bottom rails - I'd leave the headlights and handle bars that go on those things off.

My dream .223 AK certainly isn't one that looks like an AR with 5lbs of Tapco on it. It would look more like this with a standard short front handguard and a Aimpoint T1:

i-i10-09-016beryl_05.jpg

Edited by Jaba1017