Okay, I hope that got your attention. I know a lot of Michigan guys saw my story about my recent pistol sale and the call by MSP. There was talk that the pistol registration would never go away and it's too ingrained.

Well, we might actually have a chance. If you were following Senate Bill 059, you know that it is dead.

However, House bill 5225 (tie barred with 5498 & 5499) just passed the House (74 Yeas & 36 Nays) and was referred to Judiciary Committee.

It is receiving strong opposition form police but it is moving forward.

Please write your reps and follow these bills, this will be the greatest step forward for MI gun owners since shall issue CPLs.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billanalysis/House/pdf/2011-HLA-5225-3.pdf

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ijvwds55zxftjc55navm12am))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2011-HB-5225

• Like 1

Thanks Citizen! I was surprised it wasn't a closer vote! My turd of a rep voted "nay" (Bob Constan). I have written two snail mail letters and three emails over the past few months to this guy and received exactly ZERO response. rant.gif

When elections come up I am going to make it my personal mission support his opposition in any way possible.

Edited by Pyzik
  • Like 2

Tim walberg. Let me know, thanks.

Yooper, I need your House rep at the State level, not Federal level, sorry.

ETA: I did a search online and without your exact address I am not sure which of these is your exact rep but they all voted "yea".

Kate Segal - D 67th District

Michael Shirky - R 65th District

Deb Lynn Shaughnessy - R 71st District

Go here and type in your address to see which is your rep.

http://www.house.mi.gov/MHRPublic/

Edited by Pyzik

Michigan needs to do away with that stupid law. I missed out a few purchases at a gun show at the Gibraltar Trade Center in Southgate because of the need for a permit and registration which the West Bloomfield Police only do on certain days and have designated hours. I had to leave work to see my doctor near there so I could register my pistol. Glad I live in Ohio where we don't have to deal with this stupidity.

• Like 1

That's a law that I'm glad isn't on the books down here, but to our north, in N.C., you have to have pistol permits, and that bites big time!! That, and their economy keep me from living on the family farm up there!

Would this have any effect on the "Michigan Pistols"? For those not familiar, in Michigan if it is less than 30" it is considered a pistol. You can have an AK folder in your car or concealed in a trench coat if you wanted.

Would this have any effect on the "Michigan Pistols"? For those not familiar, in Michigan if it is less than 30" it is considered a pistol. You can have an AK folder in your car or concealed in a trench coat if you wanted.

These particular bills would not affect "MI Pistols". However, SB 760 (tie barred with 761 & 762) do away with the "MI Pistol", making them a rifle. These bills HAVE passed both the MI House and Senate and are on Governor Snyder's desk waiting to be signed. If (when) signed, you will have until January 1, 2013 to register a shotgun or rifle between the OAL of 26-30" as a pistol. If you do not have it registered before Jan. 1, '13 it can never be a pistol. The bills do allow for grandfathering of any registered before the deadline but you MUST retain the record of registration.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gynaro55pt4awrmakbk33ead))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2011-SB-0760

Edited by Pyzik

These particular bills would not affect "MI Pistols". However, SB 760 (tie barred with 761 & 762) do away with the "MI Pistol", making them a rifle. These bills HAVE passed both the MI House and Senate and are on Governor Snyder's desk waiting to be signed. If (when) signed, you will have until January 1, 2013 to register a shotgun or rifle between the OAL of 26-30" as a pistol. If you do not have it registered before Jan. 1, '13 it can never be a pistol. The bills do allow for grandfathering of any registered before the deadline but you MUST retain the record of registration.

http://www.legislatu...me=2011-SB-0760

That sounds like it will be a mess. If I loose the record of registration would it become a rifle? What about buying from someone, how would we know if it is a rifle or a pistol?

Thanks for all the good info!

Hog, the rifle is only grandfathered for the original registrator. Once the rifle is sold it cannot be a pistol any longer. Since we're losing Michigan pistols anyway, I'm happy for the tradeoff to rid registration and purchase permits.