I got it! Thats the good part, lol. It's bigger than I thought it would be. Closer to the 20rnd S12 drums than the metal x39s or 12rnd S12 drums. Beefy for plastic. It does seem to be long necked for magwell use though. Will post pics and maybe a range reveiw if I get a chance next week.

Would be interested in doing a FTF trade for a metal Romy. Just because of the size. Once I bullpup the RPK, I'm not sure how comfortable the reach around will be with this thing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, got to the range the other day and ran through all 73rnds. Two fail to feeds, seemed to stick coming into the tower. First one, I pulled the drum and tapped it loose. Second one and I just tapped the drum and it slipped up to the feed lips without pulling the drum. May just need some use.

Lol, after about 60rnds, my RPK was starting to smoke a bit. The last few shots were a little hard to see the target(50yrds). Wood hand guards were fine, but I touched gas block, and ouch!

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Ok, guess what I found at the gunshow yesterday, lol. Yep, a Romainian steel, 75rnd, top load drum. Timing is everything, lol. So here's some comparison pics of the ProMag Polymer 73rnd and a Romy 75rnd steel drum.

While the backs are roughly the same size....

post-15573-0-13292800-1349654520_thumb.jpg

The fronts are significantly different, given that the ProMag is blockish(like their other drums) compared to the steel which is "stepped" down to about the size of ProMags 12rnd S12 drum.

post-15573-0-42692600-1349654497_thumb.jpg

post-15573-0-56158900-1349654788_thumb.jpg

The ProMag tower is taller as well. Perhaps 5/8" in front and 1 1/4" in back. May work with a similar sized magwell, but don't hold me to that.

post-15573-0-94657200-1349654859_thumb.jpg

post-15573-0-79223200-1349654890_thumb.jpg

The ProMag shot well enough first time out. Just 2 fail-to-feeds in the tower that tapped right up. May need some wear. The feed lips are plenty stout. It actually weighs just a bit more than the seel drum according to my bathroom scale.

It loads just like the other back loaders, iirc. Hold the center button, wind carrier clockwise till it stops, release button, load, close and wind the butterfly key on back.

Is it worth the $70? Sure. My preferance is still the steel, but the Promag will work, has a taller tower which may work with a magwell and for my Ohio brethern, may be blockable down to 30rnds with a peice of thin plastic covering the bulk of the carrier. Haven't figured that out for the Romy yet, lol.

Edited by BpS12