09 Saiga 7.62 X 39 with flat trunnion and recoil spring with s12 style

I'm about to pickup another Saiga in 7.62x39. However, unlike the rest of the Saigas in 7.62x39s that I have, this one seems to have a flat trunnion and has a button on the recoil spring assembly like on an S12.

The FSB still seems to be dimpled, like the rest that I have already. The receiver also has the mag well dimples.

This variation had me confused for a little bit. I found it locally for 30 bucks less than another place that sells rounded trunnion 09s without s12 type button on the recoil spring assembly.

Does this type of Saiga configuration have any other differences internally that I was not able to inspect at the store? Anyone know?

It seems that this was either an upgrade from the other kind, or probably the factory uses all kinds of various parts when it runs into shortages.

What kind of weird configurations have people ran into? i.e. 09s with pinned FSBs? Round trunnions and s12 style recoil assembly with a button? etc.

I find this interesting and annoying at the same time. I wanted a round trunnion and a regular spring assembly, as I like making Saiga AKMs, and now I will need to buy a regular recoil spring assembly without the button. Also the trunnion on traditional AKMs is round. The other stores were all out though and I don't have the patience to buy online.

I once installed a bullet guide with no cutting oil. Seems easy enough. I've done a few of them and all went well.

But what you're saying is that since there is a recess in the metal for a square bullet guide, that the recess makes the trunnion thinner? That makes sense.

After tapping the hole, I put a q-tip on the other side, then fill the taped hole completely with red loctite and put the screw in. Would that work?

Are you saying that its easier to simply mess it up, or are you saying that the reduced thickness makes the bullet guide hold not as well as it should? Because now I want to know more as I don't have complete faith in the bolt on bullet guides in the first place.

Edited by Agent Lemon

I once installed a bullet guide with no cutting oil. Seems easy enough. I've done a few of them and all went well.

But what you're saying is that since there is a recess in the metal for a square bullet guide, that the recess makes the trunnion thinner? That makes sense.

After tapping the hole, I put a q-tip on the other side, then fill the taped hole completely with red loctite and put the screw in. Would that work?

Are you saying that its easier to simply mess it up, or are you saying that the reduced thickness makes the bullet guide hold not as well as it should? Because now I want to know more as I don't have complete faith in the bolt on bullet guides in the first place.

What you said is exactly what he said. IIRC, last I talked to him, he had taken to only welding flat bullet guides

Edited by BlenderWizard

Picked her up today.

This is it as of now. Still has paint and anti-seize from marking the hg retainer and from pressing stuff on.

I put everything on the barrel in the correct locations and even managed to drill one pin hole for the GB before my last bit shit itself.

Will have to wait for more drill bits/ pins and a FCG/trigger guard/mag catch/bullet guide before I can proceed.

Also I will need a new wood stock, ribbed dust cover, u.s. made slant brake, new brush that will fit a new cleaning rod... a new bayonet...

fuck the list never gets any shorter does it? I have a Saiga AKM addiction sad.png

post-36320-0-52119300-1340761538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Agent Lemon

The 7.62x39 I pickup is exactly as you described. The "meat" of the trunnion did not seem thin to me. I fucked up the bullet guide (I still think the drill sent with the tap is too small) and ended up drilling it larger and put a 8-32 button head (with the sides of the head filed a hair to fit into the BG slot). A little red locktite on the screw. No problems. Have put about 400-500 rounds through it without a single hiccup. BG still tight.

Okay so I just installed the bullet guide in the flat trun.

At a first glance, it looked that if anything, it would be easier to install a bullet guide in a flat. The reasoning behind this was that since the trun had a flat, square cutout, it would be impossible to misalign the guide with the little cutout/notch whatever on the barrel. Simply drop it in and its aligned.

Thats when I noticed that unlike the guides for round truns, this one went a lot farther bellow the barrel. When a round guide goes in until it stops, it hangs over the truns edge a little. With this one, there was a a bare gap between trun edge and edge of the guide.

I stuck a snapcap mag in there, holding it tight to make it stay, since I had not changed the mag catch yet. The guide was in as far towards the barrel as possible, and there was a bare trun gap between mag and edge of guide. Everything cycled fine. I went to go make a sandwich, etc. and then came back later to keep testing with various kinds of rounds and more snap caps, cause I like to test thoroughly. Everything worked fine until one time that I was inserting snapcaps into the barrel with simply pressure from my finger, the last round in the mag failed to feed. Motherfucker, I was just about to install you, why you giving me shit?

The failure could have possibly happened cause the mag was not actually locked in, and maybe my hand let it move. I dont know. The bullet just wasnt raised enough, and got stuck against the barrel face.

So I checked a round trun rifle and then measured how much it hung over the edge, so that I could match it with the flat trun the same way. Now everything is installed and good to go. I guess that its harder to align back and forth (unless you use a drop of glue to hold it in place for centerpunching/drilling like I do) than it is side to side, hence easier to mess up. Easier to mess up of course cause at first things appear to work fine, but then it turns out that the bare gap in the trunnion could cause issues later.

I did not notice that big a difference in thickness of trunnion, but then again I do not have a drilled round trun without a bullet guide in it.

I have also popped my first broken tap cherry with this, but it wasn't the trunnions fault, it was my fault for being impatient. The more I do something the more careless I get with it. I just punched the tap out and used a different one to remove any remaining bits. Everything is now installed with some red loctite, and is good to go :)