Attn Tromix: Bayonet lugs for other shotguns

I was wondering if Tony could see if his splendid M16 bayonet lugs for a Saiga-12 might fit a use like this. The Remington factory mag extensions for the 870 shotguns have aturned down section at the front that is PERFECT for an M16 bayonet, as pictured below.

I was wondering if the S-12 bayo lugs would work here as they are or with simple modification. Outside diameter of the mag extension is 1.00".

I was going to do one myself, but Tony has something good going and if it works for this project then that's perfect. A friend and I both have use for one.

BTW, that is a 7 shot extension installed on a 26" barreled 870 3.5" ESM. The one currently available from the factory is a 6rd tube on an 18" barreled Express 3".

post-6-1127701950_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

A factory extension is what has the turned down area that's the perfect size for the bayonet. Any other extension would require you to improvise a nub for the bayonet.

Far as mag tube mounting goes, there are usually some sort of clamps that go on. I have one that I haven't installed yet. They basically firm the tube up with the barrel.

On barrel length, that's just the barrel I have now. I'm planning to get one that will match the tube length while using this one for hunting (yes I'll be using a BIG plug). The 18" express 6+1 shot has the tube flush with the front of the barrel.

I believe USMC are the originators of the contract for clamshell bayo mounts for the 870. That's WHY those mag tubes have that nub on the end. Then there was a giant mag clamp/bayo lug/front sight assembly that clamped to the barrel and the tube. You can still find them, but they are expensive for what they do.

I always thought a better alternative would be a bayo lug that was screwed under the mag extension. You could integrate it into a side sling mount. Of course the strain thing is an issue, but if you're down to bayonetting someone, firearm functionality isn't a priority.