What do i have here.... (.38SPL reloads)

So a few years back after my grandfathers passing i acquired some ammunition that he had.

One box of it was this .38SPL reloads. I have never seen anything like this before and was wondering if any of you guys could give me some insight as to what the projectile actually is? The only firearm i own in this caliber is an over under "Derringer" and i wouldnt mind trying it out but i'm a little nervous to be honest. I have 60-70rds of it on hand, some nickel, some brass, all different brands of cases.

post-20217-0-92671900-1342414602_thumb.jpg

I dont know if thats even the original box for the ammo.

Edited by Mullet Man

Those ther are Wad Cutters. The are cylinder style slug. The base of them is hollow.

Some use them for close range defense but most people use them for killing paper targets. big_smile.gif Typically good shooters for target practice. Should be loaded slightly light on the powder charge so they should work great in the Derinnger.

I like to load them backwards for a nicely expanding hollow point.

• Like 1

Interesting. I dont reload and have always seen wad cutters as uncoated lead flat/blunt nosed bullet, that protruded from the case mouth. Hmm little research shows what i was talking about as semi wad cutters.

Thanks man.

The advantage of wad cutters on paper is they give you a nice, clean hole. In competition that makes it easier to score. ;)

They're usually a great, light load for practice. Light recoil and less expensive than the "good stuff". What kind of derringer do you have? Shoot it much?

My Dad had a 9mm derringer, and it was no fun at all to shoot. The trigger was about a 50-lb. pull (kidding, but it was very stiff), and at 10 yds. I had to aim about 2 FEET low to hit the paper. blink.png

Yea no doubt LOL. This one has an extremely heavy trigger pull too. I dont shoot it much at all but took it out the other day and put 8rds thru it, for the hell of it.

Some research shows it to be a pre-safety Rohm RG 17, which appears to be a bottom barrel gun manufacturer.