Saiga .308 Bolt Digging Into Rounds

I recently purchased an a Saiga .308 and I'm experiencing issues with the bolt randomly digging into the rounds that stack to the left in the magazine. I was using a CSSPECS 20rd magazine when I first experienced this issue. I loaded the magazine with 20 rounds and after firing the first round it didn't get ejected and the gun wasn't in battery. I dropped the magazine and notice the bolt had actually tore a hole in the casing which allowed the powder to be poured out. I removed the round inserted the magazine and was able to fire the remaining 18 rounds without issue. I'm using steel cased Wolf WPA Polyperformance 145gr FMJ ammo and haven't run any brass cased ammo through it. I have two other Saiga's in 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 which I've never had any issues with. I noticed the bolt in my 308 is completely different than the other two. When I pull the charging handle back and watch the bolt unlock and I see the locking lug is facing down. This is what is damaging the rounds but it doesn't do it every time and the rounds that do fire don't have any signs of damage to them whatsoever. Has anyone experienced this issue with their 308? I've attached some pictures of what I'm talking about to clear up any questions.

post-37529-0-07321600-1342636570_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-09013400-1342637200_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-52969800-1342637224_thumb.jpg

This is with the bolt locked in place.

post-37529-0-04442200-1342637620_thumb.jpg

This is with bolt being pulled back with the locking lug facing down toward the magazine. The blue arrow is pointing to what is damaging the rounds.

post-37529-0-74788700-1342637716_thumb.jpg

The corner you have the arrow pointing to is a lot more pointy then the ones on my rifles.

I'd suggest to smooth the corner with some 1000 grit sand paper.. Not talking much as it is a bolt lug, just blunt it a little.

I'm guessing that hand cycling with the factory magazine would also leave little creases, just the extra mass and spring tension of 12 more rounds is probably making the difference.

You can smooth the mag a little by smoothing the front bottom corners of the follower with 1000 grit.

This also happened in the factory 8rd magazine, second round as well. I loaded my CSSPECS magazine with 10 rounds thinking the same thing that the spring pressure was causing this problem but it happened again with the magazine a little less than half full. I guess I'll try to smooth out that corner. On another note, I'm pleased with the construction, fitment and appearance of your 20rd magazine.

• 4 weeks later...

I also had this same problem I only use brass and only reloaded ammo so this was a real problem for me. There are posts on here that talk about a missed machining step on some 308 bolts. Here is what I did to fix it:

Polished the bolt with my buffer and polishing compound - Didn't completly fix it but stopped the gouging holes issues

Removed about 1/3 of the height of the 3rd lug and beveled both front and back slopes more (still left over 2/3 of the contact area of the lug) then repolished - This fixed the problem with damaging the brass in the gun but case mouths and cases were being dented when ejecting.

Put clear vinyl tubing over the charging handle. Find some that barely fits and squeeze it on and then heat it and it will form to the handle. - Fixed the case mouth denting

Then I cut a Piece of 1" radiator hose and shaped it to make something like the Valmet Buffer. Then I drilled a 1/8" hole in the cover and rivited the buffer in place. - That fixed all of the brass case damaging and my brass is now fine. I can reload it and after about 500 rounds I have had no problems.

I will try and post pictures of the mods I did.

Hope this helps.

Monkymate

Edited by Monkymate
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After smoothing out that third lug a little the problem is fixed, polished the rest of the bolt while I was at it.

After smoothing out that third lug a little the problem is fixed, polished the rest of the bolt while I was at it.

You fixed it twice?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Use your brain, closely inspect just how much of that lug actually makes contact inside of the trunnion, and how much has to be left to at least have it 2/3rds of the engagement it was beforehand.

Then begin to reprofile it with hand files, please do not attempt to dremel this, at least for the dimensional changes. After you have it nubbed down but still able to engage solidly, run it over a buffing wheel with red rouge, clean the wheel, and then use white rouge on it. After it's all a mirror, heat it up with a hair drier till it's a little too hot to touch and swab cold bluing over it. Repeat that last step as many times as you like.

When all is said and done, make sure to spray it out and get it as clean as possible, especially the firing pin track. Also when using cold blue, if you don't clean the surface after using it, then oil it well, it'll rust up pretty easy. Just make sure to clean it and oil it. It will protect the parts after you do that.