I'm buying one of these and would like to know what others have done with the end of the barrel. K-VAR said the krink style shrouds should be back in stock in a week or so. I don't mind going that route but what other options do I have other than cut/crown the barrel and SBR?

I'm buying one of these and would like to know what others have done with the end of the barrel. K-VAR said the krink style shrouds should be back in stock in a week or so. I don't mind going that route but what other options do I have other than cut/crown the barrel and SBR?

Still waiting to SBR mine

This is what I plan to do with mine

Originally Posted By micah360:

So I've been receiving alot of requests / questions on this, and thought it would be a good "how to" or reference guide to put here for anybody wondering about this.

First I bought an Arsenal 107CR and sent the forms off to the ATF. In my wait I was trying to decide who I would have cut and crown the barrel for me. I called around and local smiths wanted anywhere from $80-$150 to do this. So I started doing research and found out that this was a pretty simple job to do oneself. In the next few weeks I bought an Arsenal 106U. This confirmed that I would do the chop-job myself cause I didn't want to spend double.

So, I bought a good hacksaw from Home Depot (and good, bi-metal blades for it too). My research told me that I'd need to file the muzzle square after the hack-job. Then once it's square(ish) the crowning tool takes care of the rest. Then just finish it off with some steel wool and some cold blue.

FYI: The 107CR and the 106U models do not require opening up the gas ports after the chop like the 107UR models do. (At least my CR didn't.)

Oh yeah... I rented the crowning tool from here. Dinzag Arms

And here's a helpful link on crowning. crowning link

Of course you all know this already, but you cannot cut the barrel below 16" until your approved tax stamp is in your hand

107CR

ak-104-clone.jpg

106U

106u.jpg

tools

tools.jpg

ak-104-muzzle.jpg

106U (I just recently re-crowned this one to get it flush)

106-muzzle.jpg

Edited by BlenderWizard

Very informative! Thanks a lot! I've looked at buying the tools from brownells. It'd still be cheaper than having it done.

My question is: Is losing 3" worth $200 to me, or will I be just as well off with the shroud?

I guess I'll try a should first.

When I get the new m92 krink, the $200 will most likely be worth it though. :)

Very informative! Thanks a lot! I've looked at buying the tools from brownells. It'd still be cheaper than having it done.

My question is: Is losing 3" worth $200 to me, or will I be just as well off with the shroud?

I guess I'll try a should first.

When I get the new m92 krink, the $200 will most likely be worth it though. smile.png

4"