Gas port sizes...

I received the 2 converted Saigas that I ordered a month ago or so, and after checking the gas ports, both were 4 unblocked port guns, so I was hopeful that they would cycle the federal bulk I had bought. After hitting the range 2 days ago, and shooting 30 slugs and 50 federal target loads, I found that both guns cycled slugs fine on 1, but neither gun would cycle federal low brass target loads on 2 (short stroking). Some rounds with the low brass loads didn't even seem to move the bolt back more than an inch, other rounds it would go back about halfway, and other rounds would almost fully extract from the chamber, but would get caught lengthwise as the bolt comes back.

I am temped to get lighter recoil springs and mainsprings, but I'm thinking the problem is the gas ports must be too small. So I'm ready to knock the gas block off, and check the sizes of the holes, and bore them out of needed.

Anyway, after a ton of research, I see people recommending different gas port sizes all over the place. .093 (3/32") for a 3 port gun seems to be what everyone recommends, but when you get to the 4 port guns, I am seeing people recommend both .093 and .076 (5/64"). .076 seems more correct for a 4 port gun, .093 on 4 ports may overgas the gun? I guess overgassing isn't that big of a problem when you can restrict the gas flow with the gas plug.

Anyone have a definitive answer for the gas port sizes?

Edited by Crumble

mine is cycling bulk pack flawlessly with four 1.75mm (0.069") ports

lots of variables (friction, puck/chamber fit, spring rates, etc.) will determine the minimum size needed to cycle. any blanket number given to work on any and every gun is for shops/individuals that do not want, or cannot afford to take the time to determine the minimum size required. if you want to only remove the gas block once, drill it, put it back together and be done with it, the recipes will work. a little extra gas can be blocked or bled by the use of aftermarket gas plugs.

what's the advantage to finding the minimum size? less stuff can find its way into your gas chamber. should stay cleaner. and less gas directed away from shot acceleration and/or brake function.

all of the above is simply my opinion.

your mileage may vary.

Edited by FunkedOut
  • Like 1

My 4 port needed 5/64 ports to get her to run Winchester Universal. I wasn't concerned about over gassing because I stepped up the ports in small increments and I have a TAC47 Auto Plug. It was almost 100% reliable like that like 99% but I put a CSS puck in it and that was the ticket. 100% reliable every one of these guns are a bit different. I know for a fact that this gun is going to go BANG EVERY TIME I PULL THE TRIGGER! No matter what I feed it. Honestly I don't see anymore crap in the gas system when I clean it than before I opened them up. It really runs like a sewing machine.

Edited by 45Bretired

I have 21 saiga 12's and 20 of them have 4 ports at .073....this includes many SBS's

Going too big invites fouling issues

You own 21 Saiga 12s?! Holy crap!

Guess I'll go with 4 ports at 5/64" for both guns.

Thanks guys

Edited by Crumble

My suggestion would be to go ahead and drill out the holes to 5/64, and then go bigger if you still have cycling issues. Like RamLake has already mentioned, the bigger you go with the ports the higher your chances are for fouling issues. Some guns will require bigger than 5/64 ports though, so just go up in small steps and you should be fine.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this question, so I'll post it here...

What kind of drill bit do I need to drill this steel? Will standard titanium nitride coated steel bits work? Or do I need to use something like Cobalt bits or diamond tipped bits?

Edited by Crumble