Need some advice/links for a stock Saiga 7.62x30mm rifle

I searched and read but I am still confused a bit.

I have a stock Saiga 7.62x39mm rifle (Model "MK 03") that I do NOT want to convert but use largely as-is.

I do want to change out the FCG with US-made parts and use US-made magazines, but most of the things I find for it seem to be geared toward moving the trigger forward and adding a bullet guide to use AK mags.

My questions are this:

1) Is there a US-made replacement FCG that will work with this rifle as-is, straight drop-in install without moving the trigger? If so, which one(s)???

2) Are there US-made magazines that will work in this rifle without modification to either rifle or magazines? If so, which ones???

Thanks in advance, and forgive my "newb" questions, I have quite a few AK variants but am completey new to this particular rifle.

No fire control group that I'm aware of. Some people here have mixed parts from both groups.

Several of these. SGM is what I use in my 223. Just don't go over a 10 rounder unless you have enough compliance parts.

Okay, if the FCG is a no-go, how about a US-made bolt, bolt carrier, and forend/handguards?

Piston from Tapco, but is a pain to change. Swap HG for a US HG, and use US made mags and your good to go.

Install a bullet guide and you can buy 30 round Tapco US mags for under $15.

It might be possible to modify the Saiga .308 trigger as a drop in replacement to the linkage type Saiga trigger. The .308 trigger has a lighter , but slightly upward pull, that would work ok with the standard buttstock. Otherwise the easiest way to make it compliant is to put a US made buttstock on it and use a US made magazine. That gives you 4 compliance parts with two missing, pistol grip and muzzle device, making a total of 6. Ironwood makes a wood replacement montecarlo stock for the Saiga. As an alternative you can put a US made front hand guard with a US made magazine.

First question is, why dont you want to do the conversion If you are going to all the trouble of drilling out the pins and piston? You will likely go to more trouble keeping it factory than just moving the trigger group forward.

Because I wanted to use the Russian side-folding stock that works with the trigger in the original position -- the only way to do that would be to address the parts count with internals, mags, HGs, etc. (Which is how I got there for the S-12 that used to wear that stock).

I have more than two dozen other "standard" AK variants, I didn't want this one to be just another one of those. I wanted something "different."

If I can't get there legally with relative ease, I'll just sell the rifle to someone who wants it to convert or shoot as-is...

Edited by HardShell

I see, I was just wondering. It seems like a lot of work. The trigger pull in sporter configuration is really terrible. You could just as easily have a russian side folder put on it after conversion. But to each his own.

You could use tapco us mag, piston, us handguard and/or pistol grip if you had to.

Good luck

You could get two parts by installing a G2 but cutting the trigger off of it and installing it in the stock manner. The stock Saiga trigger is basically a standard AK trigger with no trigger where the there is normally one, and then a trigger with activator arm in the rear. Or you could just install the Tapco hammer and disconnector to get two compliance parts. The Tapco disconnectors are shaped differently than the stock ones though, don't know how that will affect performance. You can't fit a stock Saiga disconnector in a standard AK trigger, but a stock AK disconnector will fit in a standard Saiga trigger, whether it works right or not is another matter - have never tried it.

Edited by Jaba1017

... You could just as easily have a russian side folder put on it after conversion. But to each his own...

Not the stock I am referring to, it is made specifically for the OEM trigger position (rifle or shotgun).

Dinzag has an FCG that will work with an unmodified gun, but it only counts as two US made parts because the part that would be the trigger isn't actually the trigger.

http://www.dinzagarm..._parts/fcg.html

Thanks, that helps.

Those two parts plus US handguards and US mags only and I should be okay. (Right?)

Edited by HardShell

My understanding is that Thermold/Moldmaker AK mags will work in a stock Saiga with no mods to the rifle.

According to the link, all you would need is a US made forearm or stock (not both) and US made mags to be compliant.

Edited by mac66

... According to the link, all you would need is a US made forearm or stock (not both) and US made mags to be compliant.

Except that the (import) stock I really want to use adds a pistol grip, so I need one more part.

It looks like I could go with the two FCG parts and an all-US mag and be okay, even without changing the HG.

Only the older Thermolds which are not cut for a bullet guide work without a bullet guide. The ones cut for a bullet guide have a notch cut out of the front lip.

... According to the link, all you would need is a US made forearm or stock (not both) and US made mags to be compliant.

Except that the (import) stock I really want to use adds a pistol grip, so I need one more part.

It looks like I could go with the two FCG parts and an all-US mag and be okay, even without changing the HG.

Exactly you need six parts 1) hammer, 2) disconnector, 3),4), 5) US magazine, 6) No Muzzle Device

Yep, it has no muzzle device.

I just ordered the Dinzag parts, and I will pick up some SGM mags as well before changing stocks (I have some of the Master Molders on hand, I'll have to check and see if they will work or not).

Thanks again for all of the help and advice, guys!!! smile.png

Edited by HardShell