308 with PSL Stock

I'm converting my 308. I know all about the trigger/pistol grip conversion. No mysteries there. What I'd like to know is if a PSL stock will fit. Will the butt stock (laminated wood type) fit or be made to fit? I'm talking about the Romanian type without the curved cutouts on the sides. I know the old AK WASR Dragunov type will but I found a complete PSL set. Next, is the top hand guard the same length as an AK's? And last of all, will the lower hand guard work if I use Dinzag's adapter? Would there be any clearance issues between the inside of the lower guard and the 308's trunion? Thanks for the help. I've done a lot of Googling and cannot find anything definitive.

Edited by mowogdave

Hi, about six months ago I had been considering this type of approach also. I purchased two PSL stock sets, ( one as a back up in case modifications needed to be made, or accidents occurred). As I recall the front lower handguard is much longer than the AK and the set up would require significant modification, I seem to remember the gas tube was longer too meaning the front upper handguard was going to require some modding as well. Not an impossibility, just not a "plug 'n play" matter of swapping out parts.

The stock went right on with little modification of elongating a slot so it would slide into the receiver far enough. The handguards needed sanding to fit, especially the upper. Also I had to cut up an AK handguard retainer and modify it to fit. I believe a member here makes a retainer which would work on the saiga. The handguards feel solid and have held up to recoil.

Back when I did this, I used a Romanian WASR PSL-style stock, and fitted a PSL lower handguard. That last part was a lot of work.

The top handguard is too long. I was looking for a standard wood upper HG to match the lower, and I was planning on refinishing the wood. However, I found that the angle of the stock and the recoil of the rifle caused me to get smacked in the face every time I fired, so I went back to a more standard setup. It would no doubt be OK now with the Battlecomp muzzle brake I had installed, but honestly I prefer the lighter-weight set up.

PICT4694.jpg

PICT4695.jpg

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Hope I'm doing this right. Here is my 16" .308 with modified PSL stock and handguards

That's a beaut! -1 point for not including an inserted mag in the picture though. ;-)

Thanks, thats the butt stock I got from you but I messed up the lower handguard and to get another one

Hope I'm doing this right. Here is my 16" .308 with modified PSL stock and handguards

Any pictures of it without the extended brake on there? Looks good, but I think it wouldnt look as good without the brake

I dont have one but I'll try to get one and post it

I think you are right, it looks better with the brake,

That is the look I want. I picked up actual PSL wood butt stock for a squareback receiver (assuming it is the same as an early WASR) and am looking at options for the handguards. Haven't found any PSL's yet. I did stumble on this from Rhineland and I'm beginning to like it. With my stock Saiga gas tube it would be an easy and inexpensive way to go.

rhinesvd_0002.jpgpslhgs.jpgsvdkit1.jpg

Edited by mowogdave