Charging force

Hi,

Tried out my newly acquired .410 with some Rio 3" #4 ammo. Factory 4 and 10 mags. Wouldn't cycle at all on either gas setting, I ended up cycling each one by hand. Ejects just fine by hand, shells jam on the feed ramp but that's a different issue. The problem seems to be that either the charging force is too high or the pressure isn't being built up enough to force the bolt backward. This is my only Saiga so I don't really have a reference point as to bolt charging force. Should it be really heavy? I plan on putting a scale on it when I get home to measure the force required, maybe someone here could chime in with theirs so I can compare. No jammed springs, gas port is right into the barrel, no obviously broken bits or other stuff that looked out of place when I took it apart over the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

I've had less than remarkable results with Rio. Misfires, split cases, primers unseated. Seems dirty too. Some Rottweil 2 1/2" slugs were just awful. But you get what you pay for. I've had good results with Rem, Win, Sellier & Bellot, Barnaul Silver Bear (not Golden Bear) and a few others I can't think of right now. Try a few and see what you like.

• 3 weeks later...

So today I made it back to the range with a box of Federal. Awesome! Cycled perfectly, no FTF or FTE with both 4 and 10 round factory mags loaded to the max. The Feds worked on the #1 gas setting just fine. Maybe I righted something or loosened something up when I tore it down after the first attempt but now it seems really great. I'll have to take the Rio ammo back out and give it another chance to redeem itself.