Can anyone tell me if it's a good or bad idea to thread my Chinese SKS barrel? Is that legal?

Not that I personally care, but I can imagine it is techincially legal ONLY if you can demonstrate it was imported prior to the '89 ban, or, you have played the "US parts" game to allow for it's addition.

Edited by lollygagger

Lollygagger I have that same 74 twist on and a couple of different pin on birdcage types. They are pretty cool but it would be nice to be able to use my AK brakes.

BRG3

If one wanted to play the parts game on an SKS what US made parts are available other than stockset and gas operating rod? I guess US made mags would count for 3 or you could put a floorplate and follower in the duckbills even if they're Chinese. I don't remember where my steel duckbill is made. I have another one that's polymer that I think is US made. How many parts would you have to replace on the SKS to go with detachables, bayo, and threads?

I don't think any of the duckbills were made outside of the USA. They are a major US parts component to any conversion. You named it with stock set, mag parts, piston, and op rod. The SKS has 16 parts (without P-grip) to bring down to ten, 17 if it has a grenade launcher. The only parts it doesn't have are barrel extension, trunion, and p-grip, (and launcher if not the M59/66).

I beleive there were some early duck bills made from chinese ak magazines so the parts counts could come into play, but most were us made. If mags were a major part of the conversion desired, you could look for the old cobray magazines that converted the sks into a detachable magazine, but you have to mount the adaptor to the receiver to allow the front of the magazines to fit and lock(not a conversion to ak mags, but they were plastic magazines specifically for the conversion).

Edited by okie shooter

I got a Yugo SKS and to legally do anything to it is a pain since it has a Curio & Relic status. I'm leaving The SKS alone and have the Saiga to modify. The SKS has night sights (which don't glow anymore), a greanade launcher and greanade sights and a bayonet which would have to be removed if the rifle is modified. With stripper clips I can load the SKS quickly anyway so I don't need hi-cap magazines which would be a USC922r violation. The only thing I may do is add an aperture sight because I prefer them to open sights.