How do I make THIS disappear (crimped FSB)

031.gif

Need to make a crimped FSB vanish off of a 7.62x39-flavored Saiga.

Per the photos below, what I need to know is if there is any strategic spot(s) or area(s) that need to be cut or milled in order to facilitate a smooth removal without a bunch of drama. No suggestions involving Dremel tools please - I have some advanced means of getting things cut & moving - would appreciate some help, since there's a number of possibilities but am not sure where to begin at. Am also wondering if the gas block would need to be relieved to allow for a cleaning rod pass-through.

Mucho thanks in advance

2iuwak0.jpg

2ms1tvt.jpg

2yxn1ol.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry but there is really no fancy way to get the FSB off, so you may have to go through the trauma of touching a Dremel for five minutes. Cut a single slot down any point of the FSB, smack it with a mallot a few times, and it will come off. You may need to stick a flathead screwdriver into the cut slot to spread out the FSB sleeve to get it fully off of the barrel.

As RED333 said, you can also drill out the dimples, but it's hard to determine the stop depth while doing so, so it's easy to drill into the barrel without knowing. I tried this method first and never got the correct depth to get the FSB moving.

The cleaning rod will hold fine if all you have is a FSB with rod retainer and a handguard retainer with the rod hole.

Edited by mancat

you may have to go through the trauma of touching a Dremel for five minutes.

LoL! The horror, the horror...biggrin.png

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the different methods. I'm definitely taking them into consideration.

The guy made 1 post and has not come back.

Patience is a virtue. I've been by every day watching the view count climb but no further posts. Not quite ready to do the FSB yet but was hoping to collect as much tech input as possible beforehand.

Edited by Entropy

Use an endmill to drill the dimples and you won't have to drill into the barrel to get the dimples out.

Mark the bit with elec. tape where you know how far to go.

Use a shop press and push the bbl out of the FSB with a deep well socket.

You don't have to dremel or saw anything. It could possibly have threads hiding under there so you don't want to cut through them.

Use penetrating oil so it comes off easy.

• Like 1

Use an endmill to drill the dimples and you won't have to drill into the barrel to get the dimples out. Mark the bit with elec. tape where you know how far to go.

That is right along with what I was thinking of doing. Cut and relieve the crimp tension without over-penetration, into the barrel. Maybe even a narrow t-slot or keyway mill cutter to split it lengthwise along the bottom. Will see if dimple milling will make it want to give it up first without a bunch of further drama.

Use a shop press and push the bbl out of the FSB with a deep well socket.

You don't have to dremel or saw anything. It could possibly have threads hiding under there so you don't want to cut through them.

Use penetrating oil so it comes off easy.

Not overly concerned with any thread welfare though - Bulgarian '74 FSB setup is slated to take up residence on that end of the barrel.

Thanks for the response - helped confirm some ideas that were floating around in my mind. 032.gif