MD arms Drum Mag

I am having trouble getting my MD arms 20 rd drum to feed low brass shells. It feeds high brass just fine. I have changed the setting and still no luck. Low brass feeds fine out of factory 5 rd mag and 12 rd stick mags? It fits fine. It also will feed about 5-7 low brass rds out of the drum but not a full 19 rounds in the drum. it fires one at a time with drum full of low brass shells? Any Help? It was purchased in a lot of three and the other two work fine with all low brass low power shells?

Take it apart. When you remove the wedge-like thing below the dummy rounds, count how many turns of tension the spring has on it as the drum unwinds (2, 3, 2 1/2, etc.). You have to make this happen slowly or the thing will just go nuts and the dance will be over. Brush out any debris and wipe out any lube or wax or craziness like that. I bought one of mine used and it came with wax and other debris rattling around in it. I never did try to run it like that. Onward, put it back together, but make sure it has exactly 3 full turns of tension on the spring. I have a few MD-20s and they are without a doubt the most reliable and durable mags out there, as long as they have 3 turns of tension on them, the ammo is at least as good as Winchester universal, and the weapon is running as it should be. I run them extremely hard and abuse them without issue.

Welcome aboard and let us know how it goes.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

I hate that video. Imagine how pissed I was after I got home to realize the camera person moved from where I instructed them to stand after fully explaining what needed to be seen in the video. It was a waste of about $70. However, the video was about reliability and my intention was to just show others that these weapons can be reliable with shit ammo. Overall, mission accomplished.

I think this may be my favorite video. It was a milestone for me. This 8" SBS build was inspired by a comment that Bob Ash made about the number of people that could build a running 8" SBS. I thought it would a great way to come back off of my temporary ban with a statement about where I stand when it comes to working on these weapons as well. I feel that I may have surpassed the basic "running" requirement. Two fingers, Bob wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Be5TZAsUKs

ETA: It appears to run much smoother than any other 8" S12 that I have seen in a video. There is some evlblkmagic inside....

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

Thanks, I will try to do exactly like you say. What if it came with three full turns of tension? Then just make sure its clean?

Mark

Yes, just make sure it is clean, fitted well (but not too much), and doesn't have any weird issues with the feedlips (bent, popped out of position, etc.)

What type of failures are you experiencing?

Failure to feed.... catching on feedramp, catching on extractor slot, catching on barrel hood, catching in the feed tower of the drum itself?

Failure to extract from chamber?

Failure to eject?

Please understand, many of us probably want to help and may have some knowledge/experience to offer, but this stuff can be very hard to diagnose from afar. Give us a little more detail and maybe we can come up with something that will be of significant help.

I took the balck plate off of the drum and blew out some crap that was in there but wasn't sure how to get the wedge piece out without taking the metal piece out that holds the shells to check the 3 full turns? how do I get that piece out? by taking the metal clip off of the center rod? will it unwind on me if I that that piece out?

Thanks

Mark

What type of failures are you experiencing?

Failure to feed.... catching on feedramp, catching on extractor slot, catching on barrel hood, catching in the feed tower of the drum itself?

Failure to extract from chamber?

Failure to eject?