I have an older Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge. It's just an old beater, and was thinking about spiffying it up a bit and converting it into a HD shotgun. I would like to change the 28" vented rib barrel out, into a 18.5" smooth barrel, but ran into a dilemma. Turns out that older 870 20 gauges are built on 12 gauge frames. That means a brand new 20 gauge barrel is too small to fit into the receiver. A 12 gauge barrel fits fine, but obviously isn't compatible using 20 gauge ammunition. My only choice is to either find one on Gunbroker, which I have been looking about twice a week for a couple years, or modify my current one. I've given up on the search and have decided that if I want to do this, I will have to modify my current barrel. I have seen a few tutorials and such, but would rather have a professional do the job. If I mess it up, then the gun is just junk because I can't find another barrel.

My question is, is there a vendor here that would be able to cut this barrel down to 18.5", and remove the vented ribs? I have a buddy that refinishes metal, so I can take care of that part. This is somewhat of a budget project and I don't want to pay out the wazoo.

Thanks.

Edited by jmzzl

I know I could just go down to the pawn shop and pick up a great used gun for ~$150-$200. If I can get the barrel fixed the way I want it for like 50 bucks, and let me do the rest of the work, that'd would be the way I'd go. As I said, I am sorta on a budget.