Post conversion questions.

Howdy saiga folk.

First time poster long time lurker here, and I have a few concerns with my new conversion.

First, I replaced the saiga mag catch with a proper AK mag catch/triggerguard using a screw plate from AK builder and loc-tite, but my mags have just the tiniest bit of play front to back and it concerns me a bit as I've not messed with any AK's prior to this, I'm unfamiliar with how much is okay. I know side to side isn't anything to worry about but front to back seems like it's a bad thing from what I've read, keeping in mind it's like not even 1/64ths of wiggle, I can hardly move it, but it's apparent, most so in my bakelite mag [it feeds fine] but I'm slightly concerned.

Second, I had a FTE and an FTF today using brass winchester whitebox, is this common for AK's? brass being such a soft material I figured the extractor bit deep into the rim and didn't kick it out properly, if this is the case, it's fine, I usually shoot steel anyway, I just got the Winchester to try, I'm curious to see if this is just mine or if it's common.

I'd also like to ask where I might get a 3mm reamer for the changing of my FSB? I can't seem to find a definate answer anywhere, so I figured I'd ask the guys that know what's up.

Pics below, pardon the cellphone grains, room was dark.

post-44989-0-05877400-1355530084.jpg

Dear sir,

You are freaking out. All will be well with your Saiga.

Soft-cased brass is more likely to malf in a semi-auto such as an AK, but it shouldn't be a common thing. Personally I don't have a very high opinion of Winchester 7.62x39. If your gun runs fine with steel or hard milsurp brass (Yugo) I wouldn't worry.

You can get 3MM bits from most fastener/hardware suppliers such as Fastenal or Grainger. Most will actually be 2.8/2.9MM and provide a good interference fit for the pins. Use anti-seize when installing the pins. Lightly chamfer the outer edges of the pins to avoid galling/seizing on initial entry.

Good job so far.

Edited by mancat

Ah, thank you both, you've got no idea how much peace of mind you just bought me, and yeah, I didn't really think much of the FTE considering it was cheapo Winchester, just made me chuckle slightly since I'm an AR guy and actually NEEDING to buy steel/hard cased is a strange occurrence even though 2/3 of my AR's eat steel fine...

And yeah, I stumbled onto Fastenal's website literally like an hour after writing the OP and ordered up a bunch of them, thanks again.

I quit using WWB after getting two rounds of 9mm with no powder in them, got tired of knocking bullets out of my bore. I stared checking OAL on various calibers of theirs and they were all over the place, plus I can buy other manufacturers cheaper in pretty much every caliber I own.