weird differences in our Saigas

As a few of you know i got my first Saiga 7.62 a few weeks ago and converted it. My buddy seen it and decided to buy one on GB and just got it today. There are a few odd differences in them. First, the magwellis kind of screwed up, it is actually smaller than mine and the mags that fit really good in mine wouldn't fit in his until i did a little dremeling to the mags, his has dimples, it was imported by RWC Group LLC Tullytoen, PA USA while mine is a EAA import. Our proof marks and everything stamped are reversed from each other and he has a weird area that looks like somebody tried to cover something up (see pic). His side plate for the optic mount is the same basic shape but a little thinner. Any idea why there are so many differences? post-46357-0-98932600-1359258334_thumb.jpg

That is weird. The only thing I can intelligently comment on is the velcro looking patch in your pic. That is where one importers engraving was laser etched over and another importers marking were put on the other side of the receiver. Mine has the same etching. Some people sand it off, others leave it. Doesnt bother me.

Nothing overly weird going on there.

There are some pretty wide variances in machining, depending on whether Ivan was or wasn't nursing a bottle of vodka that day.

This accounts for a lot of things that can be different on Saigas.

Some receivers are dimpled, some are not, some other variables, pistol grip hole, stepped chamber, third axis pin stamp and more.

Different Importers mark in different areas, and the rectangle does indeed cover something up, another importers markings.

• Like 1

Thats what i was guessing. The one thing that really bothers me about wanting to get another one is magazine interchangeably because the mags that worked fine in mine brand new from the package didn't work without some grinding in my buddies rifle. His factory 10 round Saiga mag didn't even fit or lock into the magwell without altering the mag! And this is a supposedly unfired and unaltered Saiga 7.62 and as far as i could tell was 100% sporter configuration. I have my Saiga 762 and AR I guess ill skip the second 762 and get an s12 (or Benelli m4 tactical if i can find a decent priced one!)

Thanks guys

Edited by dubya

The mags are just fine and still fit in my Saiga. All i did was take a little material off and round the top rear corners of the mag body. Doesn't affect anything but it will now fit in my both rifles nicely. I kinda thought the velcro marking maybe meant the rifle was a refurb or something. I do wish mine had the dimples just because they're more desirable for some reason (because they're closer to the military AK?). Anyway, thanks for the input guys.