Effectiveness of the AK74 Brake in recoil mitigation?

Hello,

I recently found out how "not that hard" it is to remove your barrel shroud and thread the barrel (if needed). I believe my 7.62 Saiga was manufactured before 09 so i have a non-threaded barrel.

Naturally, I am now looking at putting a brake on my rifle (no flash hider/suppressor--NJ). Being I'll be cutting M14 threads, a couple different brake options are open.

So on to the real question:

How does the traditional 74 brake mitigate recoil as compared to something like a PWS or Battlecomp?

I have no experience with PWS or Battlecomp, although I have heard great things about Battlecomp. I have a traditional bulgy 74 brake on mine, and I can tell a noticible difference with the brake on.

Thank you for the input. Definitely makes me feel even better about taking the plunge and installing a brake.

Hello,

I recently found out how "not that hard" it is to remove your barrel shroud and thread the barrel (if needed). I believe my 7.62 Saiga was manufactured before 09 so i have a non-threaded barrel.

Naturally, I am now looking at putting a brake on my rifle (no flash hider/suppressor--NJ). Being I'll be cutting M14 threads, a couple different brake options are open.

So on to the real question:

How does the traditional 74 brake mitigate recoil as compared to something like a PWS or Battlecomp?

So I have experience with the battle comp and the 74 style brake. the 74 style is a little bit better in my opinion but right now my ak is sportin a slant brake because i like the over all length of the rifle shorter and the slant works quite well too.

Just make sure you are talking about a real AK-74 brake and not any of the US-made clones that are threaded to 14x1LH.

A "true" AK-74 brake needs to be threaded to 24mm due to the expansion chamber effect that is required. The 14x1LH brakes don't have any expansion chamber due to the internal design. The clones also have inappropriately placed venting holes, and mostly ineffective forward baffle, which is the function of the brake that actually eliminates pushback recoil..

The true AK-74 brake eliminates pushback/felt recoil, muzzle rise, and receiver twist. It also offers limited flash suppression, though sometimes it seems to simply amplify it due to the way gasses are redirected.

The Tapco clone brake is also VERY heavy compared to the real thing. Seriously, it's a huge muzzle weight.

Only companies that make accurate and functional clones in the USA are Arsenal and CNC Warrior. All others are milsurp, with the most common at the moment being both Bulgarian and E. German - the two are virtually identical and represent an implementation of the early 1980s short-collar Soviet design.

NOTE: CNC Warrior has a M14 (14x1LH) to 24MM adapter. You can use this to use the 24MM muzzue device on a 14x1LH threaded Saiga. The only issue is that since the AK-74 brake must maintain a specific orientation, you need to find a way to lock it into place, while keeping it removable for cleaning. You may be able to do this with a crush washer fitted against the FSB. You might also just tack weld the 24MM brake to the threaded adapter, which would effectively turn it into a 14x1LH threaded brake, but would still maintain the expansion chamber. It would just make it a bit harder to clean the inside of the brake.

BAD:

g7Ht1oh.jpg

GOOD:

degud9s.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2
Just make sure you are talking about a real AK-74 brake and not any of the US-made clones that are threaded to 14x1LH.

A "true" AK-74 brake needs to be threaded to 24mm due to the expansion chamber effect that is required. The 14x1LH brakes don't have any expansion chamber due to the internal design. The clones also have inappropriately placed venting holes, and mostly ineffective forward baffle, which is the function of the brake that actually eliminates pushback recoil..

The true AK-74 brake eliminates pushback/felt recoil, muzzle rise, and receiver twist. It also offers limited flash suppression, though sometimes it seems to simply amplify it due to the way gasses are redirected.

The Tapco clone brake is also VERY heavy compared to the real thing. Seriously, it's a huge muzzle weight.

Only companies that make accurate and functional clones in the USA are Arsenal and CNC Warrior. All others are milsurp, with the most common at the moment being both Bulgarian and E. German - the two are virtually identical and represent an implementation of the early 1980s short-collar Soviet design.

NOTE: CNC Warrior has a M14 (14x1LH) to 24MM adapter. You can use this to use the 24MM muzzue device on a 14x1LH threaded Saiga. The only issue is that since the AK-74 brake must maintain a specific orientation, you need to find a way to lock it into place, while keeping it removable for cleaning. You may be able to do this with a crush washer fitted against the FSB. You might also just tack weld the 24MM brake to the threaded adapter, which would effectively turn it into a 14x1LH threaded brake, but would still maintain the expansion chamber. It would just make it a bit harder to clean the inside of the brake.

BAD:

g7Ht1oh.jpg

GOOD:

degud9s.jpg

Thank you for the really informative reply. I ordered a M14 threaded brake from Carolina Shooter's Supply. I am thinking now maybe I should have gone with a new FSB with 24MM AK74 adapter.

EDIT: I should also note that I am in NJ and will need a permanently attached device. Not sure how that works with the adapter and 24 mm brake.

Edited by Big Jay

Battlecomp is the best all-around muzzle brake. Works great in my experience on 5.56 and 308 weapons. It also does a much better job than the AK74 brake as a flash hider. (See video below).

IMG_5513.jpg

Edited by Jim Digriz

Looks like I will have an AK74 M14xLH brake and 2 crush washers for sale soon. Went to CNC warrior and purchased the Saiga specific adapter and their Bulgy brake in M24. Should make for a cleaner looking install.

Really wanted a battlecomp but after:

An M1A SOCOM 16

BCM 14.5" AR Upper with Centurion Rail

1000 Rounds of 7.62x39

500 Rounds of 5.56 NATO

250 Rounds of 7.62 NATO

Various AK mags

Various AR mags

I'm tapped out (no pun intended)

I use a Krinkov type brake which I got from AIM Surplus a few years ago. It has a 24mm adapter and today the adapter would cost the price of the brake and adapter. It does tame recoil which is not a problem for me but will be when I get older.