Just Bought an SGL12-09 - Did I Do Well?

I have wanted a Saiga 12 for a long time and had the opportunity to pick up an SGL12-09. I did not have anytime to research it thoroughly before buying it but I decided to pull the trigger on it after reading a brief description of it online. I understand it has been factory converted (or not converted considering it was manufactured that way), which was a big selling point for me, and has some other cool features like last round bolt hold open and a factory adjustable gas port. Sadly it is not the version with the chrome lined barrel though.

Does anyone have any insight beyond this on my shotgun? Is it one of the better models? How does it compare to other Saiga 12 models? Anything I should know or parts I should change for better functionality?

Also, anyone have suggestions for a set of Sights or a way to add BUIs? I want sights that will retain zero but considering this shotgun does not have a standard AK sight system, I don't see how I could add a rail over the dust cover. I do not want to add a quad rail forearm to the gun, want to keep it as naked as possible. So, basically I need to either find a rail that attaches to the piston tube or....?

I would like to stay away from welding if possible.

My shotgun is currently in jail on the CA mandatory 10 day waiting period. Here is a picture of when I went to my FFL to DROS it:

uawSzbo.jpg

Thanks!

I have wanted a Saiga 12 for a long time and had the opportunity to pick up an SGL12-09. I did not have anytime to research it thoroughly before buying it but I decided to pull the trigger on it after reading a brief description of it online. I understand it has been factory converted (or not converted considering it was manufactured that way), which was a big selling point for me, and has some other cool features like last round bolt hold open and a factory adjustable gas port. Sadly it is not the version with the chrome lined barrel though. All S12s have chrome lined barrels from what I have seen.

Does anyone have any insight beyond this on my shotgun? Is it one of the better models? How does it compare to other Saiga 12 models? Anything I should know or parts I should change for better functionality? Once you get it, just shoot it. No need to make any changes just yet. The only thing I might change is the gas regulator for ease of function

Also, anyone have suggestions for a set of Sights or a way to add BUIs? I want sights that will retain zero but considering this shotgun does not have a standard AK sight system, I don't see how I could add a rail over the dust cover. I do not want to add a quad rail forearm to the gun, want to keep it as naked as possible. So, basically I need to either find a rail that attaches to the piston tube or....? Look into the Krebs sights. No modification needed other than drifting out your rear sight and adding the front barrel mounted sight. CSS has sights too.

I would like to stay away from welding if possible.

My shotgun is currently in jail on the CA mandatory 10 day waiting period. Here is a picture of when I went to my FFL to DROS it:

Thanks!

I have an SGL12-07 and love it, was one of the lucky ones that paid $780 shipped for it. The -09 is the same gun but I think it has the little rail attachment whereas the 07 doesn't. Maybe a few other minor cosmetic differences but it's the same gun at it's core.

They're reputed to be one of the finest available imported S12's on the market as they were shipped in their factory configuration (ie, weren't/didn't need to be converted). I haven't had a single problem with mine, with my only minor gripe being that the finish seems to chip off easily in some spots. I like my guns clean, what can I say? :P

As far as irons or other sights, depending on your bankroll you have several options. The CHAOS rail is very popular and the company supports this sight and contributes to the community. It's a quality piece with a quality price, but has optional HK sights purchaseable for it. You can then go all the way down in quality to one of the various branded Amazon rails, but they look pretty cornball imo.

Check some of the vendors listed on this sight ( Carolina Shooters Supply, Mississippi Auto Arms, etc) and kiss your paychecks goodbye. Enjoy your new obsession, you made a good purchase.

I also live in Cali and bought the same gun. My pick up date is this tuesday. I paid 1180 OTD for mine. Yes we pay higher prices for guns here in Commifornia.
I paid 1240 delivered with bullet button. I bought it exactly 1 week ago so I expected to pay a higher price. MSRP on them is 899. Plus tax that's 982. In the end I basically paid 200 over MSRP when shipping and bullet button+install is included.My pickup date is the 11th. Pretty excited!

The SGL12s have a chrome lined barrel........http://www.k-var.com/shop/SGL12-09.html
Sweet! The description on the websites I saw did not mention it but did for other models so I just assumed it did not have it. Bonus!
  • Like 1
I have an SGL12-07 and love it, was one of the lucky ones that paid $780 shipped for it. The -09 is the same gun but I think it has the little rail attachment whereas the 07 doesn't. Maybe a few other minor cosmetic differences but it's the same gun at it's core. They're reputed to be one of the finest available imported S12's on the market as they were shipped in their factory configuration (ie, weren't/didn't need to be converted). I haven't had a single problem with mine, with my only minor gripe being that the finish seems to chip off easily in some spots. I like my guns clean, what can I say? :P As far as irons or other sights, depending on your bankroll you have several options. The CHAOS rail is very popular and the company supports this sight and contributes to the community. It's a quality piece with a quality price, but has optional HK sights purchaseable for it. You can then go all the way down in quality to one of the various branded Amazon rails, but they look pretty cornball imo. Check some of the vendors listed on this sight ( Carolina Shooters Supply, Mississippi Auto Arms, etc) and kiss your paychecks goodbye. Enjoy your new obsession, you made a good purchase.
Great info! If I wanted to replace the forearm, what size do I need to get? Will that accessory rail it came with still fit if I add an aftermarket forearm? I'm very tempted to put wood on mine. What can I say, I love the classic AK look.I have spent quite a bit of time on the sponsors websites you mentioned. I haven't ordered anything yet, want to wait till I have it in hand and can plan it out and make sure I get what I want the first time. I'm also nervous about ordering parts that aren't compatible, don't fit, etc.Any ammo recommendations for some cheap blasting?

We can't tell you if you did well until we know how much you paid for it :haha:I've never heard of a factory S-12 without a chrome-lined barrel - are you sure about that?
Apparently it has one, it just wasn't listed in the description. I was wrong, what can I say? When I asked if I did well I meant did I buy a good model compared to the other models of S12. I paid 1240 delivered to my FFL.