differences between a Saiga & real AK

Besides obvious differences like the stock, trigger group, rear sight markings, what are some other differences between a Saiga and actual full auto Ishmazh made AK? Im not talking about the FCG at all just things like do AK's use a heavier barrel (ive noticed mine heats up pretty fast with 1 second shooting), is the gas tube tuned differently? Again, im not trying to alter my Saiga in any way I am just curious as to how "authentic" it is.

Ahh kinda cool. I figured something with the gas tube would be a bit different and/or the barrel. Guess they'd just have to be careful notvto touch the barrel! Maybe mine just smelled hot since it was the first time its ever been fired. All i know is i like my Saiga more than any of the 5 different AR's I've ever fired and it cost me 1/4 the price my Bushmaster did.

There are a whole lot of AK models and variations that someone would think is a "real" AK. You can get real nitpicky about it if you wanted to.

Specifically, the Saiga 7.62x39 is a specialized version of the AK-103 for civilian sale and export to the US. The AK-103 is a rifle in military service in Russia and other countries. That is the rifle that the Saiga 7.62x39 is based on.

nice AK-103 clone, which started life as a Saiga:

gWPomhU.jpg

Edited by mancat

There is one internal difference: The stepped chamber.

At one point the Izmash facility started adding a small step inside the chamber. From what I've heard here it was so Russian investigators could determine if a civilian or military rifle was used in a shooting by examining spent brass.

Not all Saigas in the U.S. have this feature. I'm not sure if they still produce them this way or not. My 2006 model has it. If you shoot a round and it has a bulged ring around the top of the shoulder it has a stepped chamber.

Apparently, it doesn't have any noticeable effect on accuracy or ballistics.

Here's a link.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/7303-case-neck-swelling-pics/

Enjoy your Saiga.

Edited by bikermutt07
There are a whole lot of AK models and variations that someone would think is a "real" AK. You can get real nitpicky about it if you wanted to.

Specifically, the Saiga 7.62x39 is a specialized version of the AK-103 for civilian sale and export to the US. The AK-103 is a rifle in military service in Russia and other countries. That is the rifle that the Saiga 7.62x39 is based on.

nice AK-103 clone, which started life as a Saiga:

[img=http://i.imgur.com/gWPomhU.jpg]

Is that yours? I've been thinking of buying another 762 and making it as close to the real thing as possible but might get a S12 instead.

Nope. It belonged to a well-known collector who had quite a few Saigas painstakingly converted to be as close as possible to their military counterparts, as well as many custom parts kit builds. Unfortunately he passed away but his site is still available for you to check out some of the extensive convesions/modifications that have been done: http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/proindex.html

Edited by mancat

Cool, thanks for the link ill check it out. I have a lead on a NIB S12 for a bit over $600 or another stock S762 for $750 (i jist paid $300 for my NIB S762 a month ago) and can't decide which to buy. Im leaning towards the shotgun but man does that AK 107 look nice!

Yeah, I gotta admit I like the AK platform.....alot. I have several AR's, and I like tinkering with them, but there is just nothing like an AK. Still like my AR's, but my attention from now on will be on AK's.

+1

I dont know how to explain it, but when I fire both my SKS and AK, it just "feels" like everything is operating smoothly and correctly, sort of like it was just natural. My AR-15 while wicked in its own right, just doesnt have that "feel". I fully trust it, but it just doesnt communicate to me like the SKS or AR. Maybe its the round? I don't know. But, I'd also say these three rifles and the M1 also all communicate better than any other semi rifle I've owned.

Ok, enough said. AK-conversions rock!

• Like 1

"Saiga" is Russia's way of exporting their beautiful Kalashnikov. America will not except import "assault weapons" so Russia got smart and said this isnt an assault rifle this is a hunting rifle. Add your new saiga huntin rifle to some shop skills and a minor concept of mechanics and you have a standard but top of the line Avtomot Kalashnikova 1947 pattern rifle.

• Like 1

I've definitely got the bug now! I only wish it happened a year or two before this madness we're seeing currently but i was busy buying bolt guns and pistols. There are so many different variations i can "make" in my garage with a Saiga and a few tools it's becoming my favorite rifle platform.