LRBHO, some other threads seem old and inactive

...and I wonder what the latest info might be regarding the magazine well, etc.

I have been shooting AK47s for several years, have no issues with lack of LRBHO.

A friend who just bought a SAIGA 12 asked me to help him learn to load a full mag with bolt closed, typical shoot to empty mag situation.

I basically had as much trouble as he did, we are both in our 60's and have some strength issues. I finally decided that since it has a manual lock back, we should see if there is a product that either works with it or replaces it to function as empty mag lock-back.

The mags are quite easy to lock into place with bolt back, but this gun has no straight-in mag loading, -it must be forced up then pivoted toward front hook, etc., and a reload can all too easily turn into a fumble-fingered 30 second affair.

Ideas?

BCH

There is not a simple LRBHO on the market today. There are some proprietary ones that some pros may install and some from the factory that can be fitted to a gun by a pro. Unless you're extremely talented and well equipped, it's not going to happen right now. There are a few Saiga's out there with a LRBHO installed from the factory, but they are not common.

In short, profiling the bolt is your best bet. Mag insertion will be greatly eased by this. Profiling the bolt is not for the faint of heart... You may want to send it to a pro, since the bolt can be effectively ruined if the profiler goes a few thousandths too far. Read the stickies on this. Good luck with it! Let us know what you decide.

... And welcome to the forum! big_smile.gif

Edited by Nephilim7

I believe that Cobra 76 two was working on this for a while several years ago and had some quite functional prototypes. I seem to recall that he was on the verge of setting them up for production but I never heard what happened with them (I was absent from the forum for a couple of years). You might hit him up and see if he has info to pass along.

My recommendation: Strive to get over the notion of a reliable aftermarket LRBHO device ever coming to market. It's been attempted over the years by some very competent gunsmiths. . . but nothing reproducible for the mass-market has been achieved. Anything close, is purely "custom" gunsmithing.

If you absolutely have to have a LRBHO either procure the latest imported version of the Saiga (whichever caliber platform has it installed as OEM), or look toward a different long gun.

It sucks, but that's reality.

If you absolutely have to have a LRBHO either procure the latest imported version of the Saiga (whichever caliber platform has it installed as OEM), or look toward a different long gun.

I have recently purchased two S-12's and have to concur with Gary. If the LRBHO is a must have (it was for me) then sell your current S-12 and purchase a model with it installed as OEM. In researching the LRBHO option I've come across only one "in-stock" model that comes with it installed from the factory. Currently that is the Iz-447 from Legion. After visiting their website you may notice that Legion doesn't have the LRBHO listed as an option for the Iz-447. I can reassure you that it does come included.

You can see the LRBHO in action at approximately 1:35 in this

from Atlantic Firearms...

Edited: I now notice that Iz-433 is also in stock, but the message remains the same. You want an OEM LRBHO you'll have to look at Legion USA.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter