battle setting .223 ak?

for the 7.62x39 The Soviet method is to set the rear sight at 100 meters, and the sight-in target at 25 meters.

Sight in so the bullets are hitting exactly to point of aim.
With that, the rifle is sighted for any range.

After sighting in, if you set the sight on the Battle Sight setting (the lowest on the sight scale) you can hit a man-sized target at any range from 0 to 400 meters without changing the sight setting.

but the 7.62x39 has totally different ballistics than .223 so is there a specific way to zero or sight in you .223 ak to "battle setting" that is different than 7.62x39?

From what I understand, the rear sight block is caliber specific, thus have specific sight slopes to match individual calibers, making the sighting in methods identical between calibers (as the block's slope is reshaped to compensate for the differing ballistics between calibers). I have no idea if this is true.... just what I've heard.

From what I understand, the rear sight block is caliber specific, thus have specific sight slopes to match individual calibers, making the sighting in methods identical between calibers (as the block's slope is reshaped to compensate for the differing ballistics between calibers). I have no idea if this is true.... just what I've heard.

The OP's problem is different than that. Basically, he needs to know what distance at which .223 fired from a 16 inch barrel will have the same point of impact at 25 yards. He can then set the rear sight leaf at that distance, shoot at 25, and then adjust his sight. This is a moot point if you're able to zero at 100 yards as you can just set your leaf to 100m and have the rest correspond as you adjust further out.

xuhqpttxnv.jpg

I found some charts here: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=495607

You can sort through them and figure out what will work best depending on what ammo you're shooting. It looks like at first glance that a 25 yard zero will put you at about 350 yards downrange with both 62 grain and 55 grain ammo from a 16 inch barrel. That would make sense, since our M4's were 14.5 inchs, losing a little bit of velocity versus a 16 inch barrel.

• Like 3

The OP's problem is different than that. Basically, he needs to know what distance at which .223 fired from a 16 inch barrel will have the same point of impact at 25 yards. He can then set the rear sight leaf at that distance, shoot at 25, and then adjust his sight. This is a moot point if you're able to zero at 100 yards as you can just set your leaf to 100m and have the rest correspond as you adjust further out.

xuhqpttxnv.jpg

I found some charts here: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=495607

You can sort through them and figure out what will work best depending on what ammo you're shooting. It looks like at first glance that a 25 yard zero will put you at about 350 yards downrange with both 62 grain and 55 grain ammo from a 16 inch barrel. That would make sense, since our M4's were 14.5 inchs, losing a little bit of velocity versus a 16 inch barrel.

50/200 works great with red dot for saiga 223