Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems as though this magazine: (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-55/Saiga-7.62x39-30-round/Detail)

would be compatible with a factory saiga without installing a bullet guide.

If this is correct, it leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Would it still work WITH a bullet guide?

2. If this 30 round magazine works with the rifle as is, what are the advantages of installing the bullet guide?

First off I would 100% sure install a bullet guide then you can shoot any AK mag which are far more common and cheaper than Saiga specific mags. You can also use Saiga mags with a bullet guide installed but you need to file/grind the very top of the front side (where the top bullet points when mag is loaded) of the mag down roughly 1/3". That party you need to remove is basically a built in bullet guide otherwise that's the only difference between a Saiga mag & AK mag. I'll post pics when I get home if nobody beats me to it. Its very simple especially with a HACKSAW lol.

I agree with Dubya, this way you are not locked in with the more pricy “Saiga mags”. The Bullet guide is easy to install if you follow instructional

. if you watch the video he shows you how to slightly grind the mag catch and alter existing Sagia mags so you could continue to use them. I installed one on my Saiga 7.62 and S223 (which was needed for an AR mag adapter). CSS know his stuff and is an excellent forum vendor!

I wish I had an un -modded Saiga mag for comparison but the part that needs to be ground down is the "U" shaped notch on the very top of the pictured side. A Saiga mag is flush at the top on all sides and an AK mag has the notch already ommitted from the design. If you don't understand it's not your fault, I suck at explaining things!post-46357-0-13811700-1363573813_thumb.jpg

BTW this is a factory 10rd Saiga mag that I modded to use with a bullet guide installed. You probably don't have to grind as far down as I did but its not a big deal at all if you go a little too far.

It seems as though this magazine: (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-55/Saiga-7.62x39-30-round/Detail)

would be compatible with a factory saiga without installing a bullet guide.

If this is correct, it leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Would it still work WITH a bullet guide?

2. If this 30 round magazine works with the rifle as is, what are the advantages of installing the bullet guide?

yes but those mags are pieces of shit, do the bullet guide you wont regret it. at first i was hesitant on doing the bullet guide and wasted money on those shit mags then i said fuck this after one broke just from dropping it outta the magwell lettin it hit the groud after just one time. the bullet guide is VERY easy and you will be happy you did. besides, its not an ak until it takes ak mags.

I wish I had an un -modded Saiga mag for comparison but the part that needs to be ground down is the "U" shaped notch on the very top of the pictured side. A Saiga mag is flush at the top on all sides and an AK mag has the notch already ommitted from the design. If you don't understand it's not your fault, I suck at explaining things!attachicon.gifIMG_20130317_212447_457.jpg

BTW this is a factory 10rd Saiga mag that I modded to use with a bullet guide installed. You probably don't have to grind as far down as I did but its not a big deal at all if you go a little too far.

and you dont actually have to cut out that much material. alls you have to do is take a file and angle the top where the void is filled in. you dont have to cut out any material just put a 45 degree angle on it.

My buddy has two of those SGM mags and love them. I haven't seen him have any issue shooting with them. But why pay $30 for a mag you need to mod when you can buy all sorts of AK mags for $15.

and you dont actually have to cut out that much material. alls you have to do is take a file and angle the top where the void is filled in. you dont have to cut out any material just put a 45 degree angle on it.

Dubya can't help what happens once he has a hacksaw in his hands

One of Dubya's hacksaw jobs pictured .haha.gif

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 1

Dubya can't help what happens once he has a hacksaw in his hands

One of Dubya's hacksaw jobs pictured .haha.gif

Ha Ha oh shit Dubya be careful bud...and you say your buddy loves those mags and im sure he does but i would definatly not take those mags into a battle and bet my life on them. they are thin and im not a fan of polymer unless the locking lugs are steel. heres the way i look at it..these beautiful rifles are battle rifles and every upgrade and mag has got to be battle proven. in the case that something does ever happen and i do have to use it to defend my self it needs to be as reliable as possible. do the bullet guide.

Agree with others... for a x39, don't screw around... put in a bullet guide, shave your mag catch latch, and use standard AK mags. I DO use SGM mags for my .223 (not much for options there) and will say those mags are tough as nails and work flawlessly and take HUGE amounts of abuse. However... if given the option for standard AK mags (such as 47 combloc mags), I'd go that route!