TAKD BASTARD install w/o LRBHO

My new adapter arrived and just finished it about an hour ago, obviously after the long wait I was going to finish it. Very pleased with the end result. My install installed was an upgrade from previous version, more about that on later post. I cycled a few rounds thru and so far so good. I plan to explore LRBHO next....

Edit: typo

100_1617-Copy_zps85a32dd2.jpg

100_1602-Copy_zps3f6f05bf.jpg

Edited by Another-Saiga-Fan
  • Like 3
Looks good to me. Any installation problems? How long did it take?

One problem was self-inflicted. I put it ALL together w/o cycling any rounds then I found out it would not transport any rounds off the mag because I needed to take another 1/16 (or less) off my previous mill job, I guess I was just right on the fringe with the old adapter because the old adapter was working nicely. This one just needed swipe with the dremel so the only hassle was I had to take it apart again and hit it with the dremel again.

Other than that the AR grip needs to be trimmed down so that took some time and I sacrificed a grinding wheel for the cause, I can’t’ speak for the AK grip model. Also I had to remove about two winding from the mag spring release. The hole for the PG screw needed be re-tapped because I think some of the finish collected in the hole, but I had the tap so no problem with the thread. I put a dab of removable Loctite on small screw but none of the PG screw

If anyone does this I would suggest temporarily installing the adapter with the back three holes then locate and mark & drill you front hole. You could probably make the front hole slightly larger because if you are a little off with the extra tolerance you could still center your back three hole. Make sure those three holes are lined up perfectly because you are dealing with Aluminum and don't want any stress on threads.

Lastly it did take some time, keep in mind I had the previous adapter so I already did the mill job, if you are just starting out you are looking at a few more hours. I was in no rush, it was one of those fun project where you don't even care about the clock. YMMV, it was fun project and I may get to shoot it this weekend

Edited: another typo...

• Like 1
Sweet! CONGRATS. Looks absolutely superb.

Thank you Sir! I know it took some to get here but very happy with the end result. TAK-D really really did a nice nice job on these! I'm going to shoot it then reach out to them for the LRBHO once they do another production run

• Like 1

@ Salt - Here it is, the old saying “it was worth the wait”. I think you will love it. If you are transitioning from the previous version and had milled enough off its very easy. Again just make sure you locate that front hole correctly so the back three holes line up perfectly otherwise you will have problems. IMO one of the keys to success is making sure the hole you drill in front don’t knock off the centers of the back three holes. You could even go up a drill bit size or two for the front hole you will be drilling, this will make sense when you see it.

For guys doing this right out of the box and didn’t have the previous version take your time. With the old version I would cut/fit, cut/fit and so on. If you are starting fresh with this one and you have to mill-out you could install the mag catch and mag and use it to test your depth as you remove material. I’m sure TAK will concur just take your time when milling out because you don’t want to overheat the metal nor is there any room for error. Just be careful not to mark up your finish on the Bastard if using it to test & fit.

cleaned her up, one last pic with a slightly better camera

pic3_zps5a1e59ea.jpg

What are your impression on ergonomics? Any awkward feeling in the wrist or does it feel natural. How about the trigger guard? Do you think there is enough room for bigger fingers or a winter glove set up.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Pictures look great!

N

cleaned her up, one last pic with a slightly better camera

What are your impression on ergonomics? Any awkward feeling in the wrist or does it feel natural. How about the trigger guard? Do you think there is enough room for bigger fingers or a winter glove set up.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Pictures look great!

N

It feels pretty natural to me, I didn’t make it to the range yet but I don't see any issues there for me. I was going to try for the range today but a morning appointment took longer than expected. From my limited handling so far I have no complaints in that area. I like the way it is joined to the receiver in four locations. It seems very well balanced and solid. I’m 165lbs so really can’t comment for big guys but shouldn’t be any more challenging than any other long gun. I know some guys complained on other forums (even before these were deployed) that they didn’t like the AR grip. Then the AK grip was introduced the so the folks now have a choice. Would I have picked the AK grip if that was available when I selected, don’t know? To me it’s all about the function and balance. The balance is excellent, I just need some range time now

Very nice job Saiga Fan, mine is on the way! can't wait!

So did you have to drill all 4 mounting holes, or does it use some of the existing holes in the rear?

In the Saiga you only have to drill the forward hole. if you used the standard plastic plugs just remove the plug in front of the trigger if you used plugs. You may just want to run the 3/16 drill thru just to clear them out. My back three holes lined up perfect on my saiga.

What I was trying to describe is temporarily bolt up you adapter firmly with the three back bolts to locate the front hole. you need to mark and drill. Placement of that hole is key because if it is off that would off-set the back three holes. You could even go a size or two up in your drill index for the front hole but do not enlarge the back three holes, clear them out yes, but do not enlarge

A basic run down of installation.

1) De-mill every rivet and feature from the bottom of your rifle.

2) Open front trunnions up to .90" in width to a depth of .90". This will provide the area for your AR mag to fully seat. (Place Bastard on rifle with mag inserted. Any material blocking needs to be removed to seat. That area is .90" x .90")

3) Assemble BASTARD with your AR/AK grip of choice and mag retention catch.

4) Place AR mag in adapter then fit up to bottom of receiver. Align up to 3 factory rivet holes in rear.

5) Secure with three button cap sockets.

6) Assemble Bolt and Carrier and check that it lines up with mag for stripping a round. (Adjust 3 screws if not)

7) After everything is lined up and indexed, mark a hole for last bolt and screw just forward of magwell.

8) Field strip and remove BASTARD.

9) Drill new hole at marked location.

10) Reassemble with all four mounting points and check function.

Congratulations.... The hard part is over. Refinish rifle as you like then send me pictures.

How well do mags drop free? I have two of the old adapters and neither allow the mags to drop free especially pmags. So I am hesitant to invest money in another adapter.

These are not like the old adapters. (Depending on when they were purchased) There were two companies making the adapters prior to us getting our own CNC and making them in-house. We did do a running change, we are not media blasting them (as it adds a textured surface and can affect the drop) Instead we are tumbling them from here on out. This leaves a lubricity effect on the magwell like that seen in the video below.

• Like 1