Correcting misaligned gas block

I have a Saiga 12 that I purchased new a year or so ago. I have only shot it once to see if it would cycle properly, but have not taken it to the range yet. Since then, I have noticed that the barrel looked crooked, pointing to the right. After further investigation it appears that the rotational alignment of my front sight (gas block) is incorrect. It is difficult to photograph the problem, but I attempted to with the photo attached. I put in a white line to try to emphasize the alignment problem.

When I look into the gas block, I can see 3 holes where the gas exits the barrel into the gas block. It also indicates that the same rotation to correct the sight alignment would be in the same direction to center the holes more correctly, although they don't appear to be blocked at present. The holes in my barrel appear to be 2 holes side by side with a 3rd hole behind them. If there is supposed to be a 4th hole, I would assume it is supposed to be toward the front forming a diamond pattern.

Questions:

1. Has any one encountered or attempted to fix this problem of the front sight?

2. If I try to remove the pins and straighten the sight (gas block) am I going to have difficulty drilling new locations for the pins since it has already been previously pinned?

3. Any recommendations.

post-47512-0-98878300-1366663511.jpg

Ceck your gas system for proper gas, i.e number of ports and sizes. Second, looks like the rear dove tail is off center, might be less trouble and greater effectiveness to simply remove it and use a secondary sight system like H&K or a reflex sight.

Sometimes you can simply wack the gas/sight block with a rubber mallet and correct the issue. Just don't hit TOO hard.

• Like 1

Mine is exactly the same way, the gas block is slightly off to once side. I first noticed when I was installing my Krebs peep and Dinzag front sight tower. They said to use the bead to get it straight just before you tighten the set screws... I'm not using the factory bead anymore and it's cut off so I'm not worried about proper sighting, but I have been checking my op rod each time I shoot to see if there's any odd wearing. So far no, but one side of the very end of the doesn't collect any build up. Kinda makes me pucker up a lil bit

welcome to saiga 12 forums.big_smile.gif

would not worry about sights their worthless it's a shotgun. i would take to range put 100 rounds through it see if gas system works right and how many FTE get, then address gas port problem that might exist . by removing gas block and drilling ports then see if can fix sight alignment , if you need sights or red scope get tri rail, or quad rail and mount them to it.

read forums, look at video's ,ask questions

Edited by bobabuee

I could be wrong, but I believe this would be a "canted gas block". I seem to remember there were some posts by the pros about dealing with this in the past. It is my opinion that this is an unnecessary point of wear that can cause excess friction in cycling and exert side loads to the op. rod/ carrier extension (a known weak point). I would search the forum and correct the issue personally. May not break for a year or ten, but repeated loading cycles are the enemy here. Again, just my opinion.

Sights on a Saiga 12 are worthless. lol. I can look down the barrel and put it on paper in a 6 inch circle 50 yards out.. im good! haha. I mean, anything past 40 yards is kinda pointless, go buy a ak if you wanna hit anything that far with this lol.. I love mine for 30 yard shots. accurate enough for me.

welcome to saiga 12 forums.big_smile.gif

would not worry about sights their worthless it's a shotgun. i would take to range put 100 rounds through it see if gas system works right and how many FTE get, then address gas port problem that might exist . by removing gas block and drilling ports then see if can fix sight alignment , if you need sights or red scope get tri rail, or quad rail and mount them to it.

read forums, look at video's ,ask questions

I don't know about the OP, but gas ports were never a problem, it's not that far off. I'm just worried about wear on the operating rod/added friction

I could be wrong, but I believe this would be a "canted gas block". I seem to remember there were some posts by the pros about dealing with this in the past. It is my opinion that this is an unnecessary point of wear that can cause excess friction in cycling and exert side loads to the op. rod/ carrier extension (a known weak point). I would search the forum and correct the issue personally. May not break for a year or ten, but repeated loading cycles are the enemy here. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks, I hope it's not a hard fix

Edited by Goose

The reason I mentioned the gas ports is because if you move the front sight block over you might cover a gas port, or potential uncover a partially covered one. It's worth looking into to ensure the proper actions are taken so you only have to mess with it once.

Edited by poolingmyignorance
The reason I mentioned the gas ports is because if you move the front sight block over you might cover a gas port, or potential uncover a partially covered one. It's worth looking into to ensure the proper actions are taken so you only have to mess with it once.

Good point as well. I have plenty of room though. Thanks though, I probably wouldn't have thought to look lol