ugh why does the ez stuff always fail

So I got the carolina shooter trigger kit and gas plug installed in a snap err well the snap was the damn hammer sping slapping me around a few times :)

I go to put on the scorpion hand grip to help with 922r compliance and the flipping screw that holds on the stock handgrip is frozen. I used extream force and got it to move 1/4 turn it now is easy to turn it back and forth that 1/4 turn. I addes some lube and worked it back and forth and hope it brakes free. It feels like it may have been cross threaded.

Is there some trick that I missed I went to youtube and it looks like all you do is turn the screw :) but that aint working and I dont want to destroy it.

it's not cross threaded. The factory stakes the grip screw - if you look closely at the end of it inside the receiver you will see a stake mark right in the center which forces it to flare slightly.

This is to prevent it from working itself loose, but makes it really hard to remove.

You need a large screw driver with a blade tip that fits well. Secure the receiver so it does not move, unscrew that bitch.

It took me 30 minute of brute force muscle to remove that screw. Not only is it staked, the nut itself seemed longer than most grip nuts (more threads to unwind). The T-type ratcheting driver helps a bit. I use my palm and body weight to press on that driver down as hard as possible. Definitely use the biggest flat head that will fit. Slow quarter turns. You will end up trashing the screw in the end and perhaps the plastic piece under the pistol grip.

Edited by cgp

after 2 guys and a vice for 30 mins we got about 6 turns on it before the head stripped.

So now I have a 4 pcs stock pistol grip if anyone wants to glue it back together.

I had to weld some 1/4" bar stock onto the bolt to attach a 24" braker bar to get the nut off the bolt.

IMAG0188.jpg

Edited by ShadyVepr

after I got it out the bolt looked like it had a 1/8" deep hole in the end of it that a centerpuch was then put in and whacked real good. I bet it was flaired out a good 1/16" after it was removed no telling how wide it was before It went back through the threads.