^^^^ Maybe its because the reality of these shows is truly "reality".  When you watch a bunch of married housewife arm-candy, its not reality, but a chance to show how stupid people become when they have no understanding of "reality".

By the way, did you see that crap house Eiven (sp?) built on Last frontier?  I was quite impressed.  Its not my style, but damn, that dude has some skills.  Amazing.

Edited by Remek

I heard somewhere that before you can become a full-time resident of Alaska, you have to spend one full year there. Apparently most people can't take the darkness and cold through the winter, and AK doesn't want a bunch of non-resident "residents."  unsure.png

20 years ago I might have been able to live up there, these days I'm not so sure...

^ I wonder about that too.  I think I'd be fine with the cold, in fact, I am pretty sure I'd love it.  I know I'd love the summers and salmon fishing.  The long winter with no bright sunny days would likely be the part I couldn't handle.

I heard somewhere that before you can become a full-time resident of Alaska, you have to spend one full year there. Apparently most people can't take the darkness and cold through the winter, and AK doesn't want a bunch of non-resident "residents."  unsure.png

20 years ago I might have been able to live up there, these days I'm not so sure...

You are correct, you must be here one full year before you will be considered a legal resident of the state.  Becoming a resident has it's perks when it comes to hunting & fishing.  There are also separate requirements to be met before you can apply for the PFD (dividend).  This state has a migratory population, people come and people go.  There are benefits (see above) given to those who stay.   

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Becoming a resident has it's perks when it comes to hunting & fishing.  There are also separate requirements to be met before you can apply for the PFD (dividend).  This state has a migratory population, people come and people go.  There are benefits (see above) given to those who stay.   

Not that I could even do this, but just for curiosity: if you decided to go up there and want to become a hermit and live out in the woods alone, off the grid, are you screwed for hunting and fishing for subsistence the first year then?

Also, I have heard they got rid of the land giveaways.  Is this true?  Or did the requirements change for it?

Becoming a resident has it's perks when it comes to hunting & fishing.  There are also separate requirements to be met before you can apply for the PFD (dividend).  This state has a migratory population, people come and people go.  There are benefits (see above) given to those who stay.   

Not that I could even do this, but just for curiosity: if you decided to go up there and want to become a hermit and live out in the woods alone, off the grid, are you screwed for hunting and fishing for subsistence the first year then?

Also, I have heard they got rid of the land giveaways.  Is this true?  Or did the requirements change for it?

(1)  Subsistence fishing for a non resident is a no go. 

(2)  The federal government no longer gives land away for free.  I have heard of stories of small Alaskan communities doing so.  The stipulation is you must be a US citizen and an Alaskan resident. 

Remek, sounds like establishing residency is the first step in living your dream...

(1)  Subsistence fishing for a non resident is a no go. 

(2)  The federal government no longer gives land away for free.  I have heard of stories of small Alaskan communities doing so.  The stipulation is you must be a US citizen and an Alaskan resident. 

Remek, sounds like establishing residency is the first step in living your dream...

It certainly is appealing to me.  I could actually give up guns and my boat and my car, if I could fish on a stream 24/7 with a fly rod.  (that said, no way I'd drop the guns if there's even a remote chance of bears, etc. to fight off.)

The main problems are the dark winters and the family.  No way my wife could handle it up there, the mosquitos alone would cause her divorce me.  I also need my children to grow up and be able to deal with other people and society down here.  I do not want them not to  be able to deal with present society.  If (and I am not dreaming of this, I fear it every day) I should somehow lose my family, you should certainly expect me to uproot and start a new life in the middle of nowhere up there.  

Just not near that annoying dyke on below zero!  She's too far north anyway.

To be accurate, you are a legal resident here as soon as you move here and get a job.  You can register to vote in elections, are required to get an AK driver's license, etc.  Just like any other state.  Residency for the purpose of hunting/fishing and receiving the permanent fund dividend are entirely separate things.

Netpackrat is correct about being a legal resident as soon as you move here.  It's important to verify that move, which is easiest by getting a state drivers license.   

There seems to be confusion out there in the internet world.  This website claims you have to be here for 12 months.  Come to find out they're quoting the State Game & Fish website which stipulates this requirement to get hunting & fishing permits.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter