Did I do something wrong?

My original thread. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/88224-im-out/?hl=schmiddy&do=findComment&comment=903946

This is my first saiga build.. It is quite a bit different than working with an AKM receiver. I wanted to get it mocked up on Saturday so my buddy could shoot it on fathers day and then paint it the following weekend. It didn't go as planned. Here's the story.

My buddy wanted me to work on the saiga at his house but he doesn't have a shop, so I brought whatever tools I could think of and started stripping it on his front porch. Didnt get to far before I was wishing I was in my shop. First problem was those darn rivets. I didn't realize they were so darn thick and drilling them out by hand is much too dangerous. So I pulled out my tiny hand files and started filing them off by hand. I got through the first two rivets when my buddy finally speaks up and says "I have a dremel. Will that work?" uh yeah...thanks for waiting till I was almost done to let me know.

Next Problem, the CSS trigger gaurd hole didnt match up. This wasnt much of a problem. A little stretch of the gaurd while my buddy inserted the screws and done.

Next problem, the houge rubber ak grip I bought did not want to easily match up to the css trigger guard hole. we cocked the grip in every direction and ended up having to really muscle it on to get the holes to match up. This was VERY frustrating.

Next problem was getting the tapco trigger, BHO, and safty back in the gun. This was also fairly frustrating because they dont really drop in like in an AKM. It seems you have to put them in order front to back. Put it took me a couple time of installing the trigger to get it right. First I put in the trigger and BHO. But then the hammer wouldn't go in. Then I put in the hammer but forgot the safety. This went on for an hour and I was getting more and more frustrated.

When I finally got it back in the gun I pulled the trigger and GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? Im really hoping someone can guess what happened at this point because I wont feel like such an idiot if others have experienced this. At this point I had to walk away because I had dinner plans.

Why don't you tell us...

If you are using a double hook trigger, as you should, I bet the trigger wouldn't pull all the way... If that is the case, look up member GunFun and check his sig line. It shows how to fit a double hook trigger.

Probably didn't cut the hump off in front of the hammer's rotational axis...

Edited to correct spelling. Hate speling erors... Doh!!!

Edited by Nephilim7

I didn't realize that I needed to grind off the hump on the front of the Hammer. so Nephilim7 wins the gold star for knowing his stuff. Gunfun too.

Quote from Moe Zambeaks thread. "Step 8: Now it is time to reassemble the FCG and BHO. To be honest, there was no way I could take pictures of myself doing this. I was too busy swearing."

That quote just about sums up my experience with getting the trigger all assembled. I think this is the first time Ive actually broke out in a sweat from assembling a firearm.

The other frustrating thing I ran into is I dont understand why tapco doesnt include the spring with their trigger group. Its a $1 part that would save me from bastardizing the original trigger. On an AKM trigger, not such a big deal, but getting that stupid roll pin with flared ends out of the saiga trigger was a PITA.

I also had a heck of a time getting the stock to sit flush in the receiver. I didnt get a chance to work on that fitment issue. One place I know its binding is on the washer for the css trigger guard.

Edited by schmiddy
  • Like 1

I didn't realize that I needed to grind off the hump on the front of the Hammer. so Nephilim7 wins the gold star for knowing his stuff. Gunfun too.

I didn't know you were handing out gold stars! Next time I'll try harder for your approval.

Here's a tip. Do your research before you start ordering parts so we don't have to listen to you whine about a missing spring or you using a double hook trigger on a receiver made for a single hook.

I'll gladly pass on your scratch and sniff sticker...

• Like 2

Golly Gee, Thanks for the tip. One on every forum "do a search before you ask..." type responses that take more time than posting something helpful. I see you actually did post in my "research" thread where I had posted a list of everything I was buying and specifically asked if there was any hardware I had omitted. And I hadn't omitted any hardware, because yes, the spring was available from the original trigger, but not as easy to get at as in a standard AKM trigger group. I'll complain about what a PITA something was anytime I damn well please because guess what...someone on this site probable thought it was a PITA too. But im guessing your builds all go smoothly. I told the guys that helped me I would post up my experiences. If you don't appreciate it, fine, but Im not the type of guy to hit up everyone for a bunch of information and then never come back.

BTW is there a receiver outside the Chinese that are made for double hooks? Please enlighten me.

Edited by schmiddy

Thanks! Gunfun has been a lot of help. I did fit the extra hook, but for some reason I missed the part about the trigger bump hitting hanging up or I would have ground it down before I spent an hour cursing. I wonder If I can grind the bump with the trigger in place?

Nah. Just remove it. You will be pretty good at putting it in and taking it out in a couple days. Then you will leave it in forever and the new skill will be wasted. A zip tie for the hammer spring and a dental pick to lift the BHO spring after installing will reduce hassle.

That area isn't very critical, but while you are at it, you can do the work to profile the striking face of the hammer so as to reduce drag and strike the bolt tail squarely.

I was using a bread tie for the hammer spring but I was trying to install the BHO with the spring in place over the hook and it was frustrating pushing the spring down and putting a pin through the back side to hold it in place while running another pin through the front. Just leaving it unsprung while installing it and using a pick to get it on the hook makes much more sense. Thanks for that advise!

I hope we haven't forgotten about Youtube.

that would take all the fun out of it.

• Like 1