e. German mag. failure

Bought 2 new E. German 223 mags. fit them as described here NO Good they jam on dry fire, with the ammo hitting the breach face of the barrel driving the bullet into the case. Reinstalled stock mag. no problems. This is with a feed ramp mod. Pissed more money wasted. Also don't like the way the E. German mags. rock this is a little to crude for me.

The feed ramp on the mag is a little low. It needs to be higher and slanted fowarded.

The feedramp is not kicking the round up high enough.

The mags rocking can be fixed by welding back up the sides of the mags.

Bought 2 new E. German 223 mags. fit them as described here NO Good they jam on dry fire, with the ammo hitting the breach face of the barrel driving the bullet into the case. Reinstalled stock mag. no problems. This is with a feed ramp mod. Pissed more money wasted. Also don't like the way the E. German mags. rock this is a little to crude for me.

Pull the charging handle all the way to the rear and let it fly. See if it still does it. I had the same problem. Mine doesn't hand cycle unless you let it fly. I think if you beveled the first 1/32" of the chamber, it may help too. I didn't have to do that.

If it still doesn't work, you may want to check it with your factory mag and see if there's a discrepancy. You can try shimming. Cut a piece of your bottom plate if you did a PG conversion.

That's why I showed you how to add a feed ramp to the bottom of the chamber opening with a dremmel with a conical grindstone head. Please search this site and read before you try stuff and decide that stuff that guys who did all the R&D like four years ago for doesn't work. If they rock, it's because you took off too much of the front of the mag in the first place. Next time go slower and test as you go. OR, as I keep saying, grind the way-too-long lug bottoms in the rifle, then grind the chamber ramp, so you needn't even touch the EG .223 (or any 5.45) mags. The E.German and Romy AKs have a different bullet guide than do the Russians and Bulgarians. All EG and Romy AKs have a feed slight ramp ground into the bottom of the chamber opening (as well as a different bullet guide). You won't even need to grind into the chamber itself, but only on the raised half. Look at the barrel at the chamber and you will know what I mean by "raised half."

Edited by inparidel