FN mags mod'ed to fit S-308

Neat, Glitch308.

Another approach for hi-cap mag use. That is what I like about leaving the gun STOCK...you can devise whatever you can to go in the weapon, rather than be "dedicated" to something specific.

This is, I think, very important since there seems to be NO HOPE of hi-cap mags outside what we can cook up.

I'll give it a try with one of my Fal mags, why not?

Lollygagger :unsure:

Thanks AK-tre08 and 17rds in my kimber :eek::super: I see some research needs to be done, thanks for that info!

HextorMachine its a little tricky to get the bolt to go through there and still hold everything in. the top lip that holds the front of the follower down is rounded abit a couple of taps with a small hammer took care of that then its fileing a very small ammout at a time until you get it through. one of the smallest things but a very important one is the little scrue in the front of the fal mag clip it allowes me to raise the fal mag so the bullet needs no guide it goes strait out of the mag right into the chamber EVERYTIME! IMHO It is cruical you have this or something like it. once i get the mag positioned so it feeds right then i make the bolt work. I like to see someone dooing this without a welder how are you getting the mag to clip into place without welding something on the back? when i cut the peices out of the front of the mag it let the top lips move to much and outside of the gun (because the gun holds every thing together good) the follower could pop through a little and rounds would pop out too when it was fully loaded, but folding it would make it alot stronger than cutting it out like I did. i tryed to post some hirez pics but there to big

HextorMachine its a little tricky to get the bolt to go through there and still hold everything in. the top lip that holds the front of the follower down is rounded abit a couple of taps with a small hammer took care of that then its fileing a very small ammout at a time until you get it through.

</quote>

I've got that part figured out and the bolt clearance is fine with some dreming of the outside edges of lips - it's the inside feed lips gripping the bullet too tightly (on not enough with too much trimming and follower goes too high) that I'm having issues with.

one of the smallest things but a very important one is the little scrue in the front of the fal mag clip it allowes me to raise the fal mag so the bullet needs no guide it goes strait out of the mag right into the chamber EVERYTIME! IMHO It is cruical you have this or something like it.

</quote>

What's a scrue? Did you add a screw to the front of the mag or are you talking about something else? I have no idea what you are trying to say with this sentance and there are no screws in my metric FAL mag.

I'll have to get some pics of the folded tabs I made - on the rear, I make a small vert cut around where I want the tab, then a horizontal cut above and below that area. Then I fold metal outwards a bit on each side and shape to fit the mag catch (looking from top of mag, it will make a V sort of lip/lug). Same idea on front, and I use the normal FAL catch as a top guide and make another cut below that with a vert section to bisect. again - fold the metal outwards and shape to fit into magwell lower part of magwell lip. If you make the horizontal cuts too long, or bend too much the metal sometimes snaps.

with the feed lips I understand what your talking about and I wish I had a special trick on that one but i dont, try to make sure the magwell is'ent squishing the mag to much when its in making you remove more than needed. I messed up 2 mags before i got my first one to work

ya its a screw in the front lip sorry my spelling is bad and my typing is even worse

Ah - you're using the screw as the front lug/magwell catch and use it to push the front of the mag up into the well. I'm doing the same with the bent metal tabs I have in the same general area. I start with them oversided on the bottom, then demel them down until the bolt can come back over the feedlips.

I think my only issue is the feedlip cuts/trimming - and perhaps your right about the magwell squishing them as well. I have some more mags + L1A1 followers shipping this week (plus some range ammo), so perhaps I can make my next batch function better and test some live rounds thru them (like you - I've pretty much ruined two mags, but at $6 it's a cheap lesson so far)

I gotta say the stock Saiga looks damn sexy with a FAL mag sticking out of it - Mine's a 21.8" barrel synthetic version and almost looks like an M14/M1A if you squint hard enough ;)

Next projext is to figure out how to get an Ultimak to fit (hacked up VEPR version perhaps?) and give it the Scout look with some forward optics.

How did you gentlemen figure out the final sideways fit?

What is the final measurement from the bottom of the mag to the bottom of the front and back catches? It would save a lot of manual research if your various measurements coincided. The final needed detail.

IF you get the Ultimak to fit please report the details. I prefer a scout scope location and am looking for a rear receiver sight to complement it.

What type of welder (power) do you use for the thin metal of the mags? Thanks John

Edited by MINI SSS

for me the final sideways fit, I ad whatever piece im using on the side then I grab my 4" hand grinder and go at it until its close then do the fine work with a dremel or hand files. On the welder it was a lincolin 100 flux core 120v It had 4 power settings I used the 2nd one surprisingley, and i dont rember the feed rate sorry, I couldent run a bead or anything but little tack welds end to end worked great. and a picture for the measurement question ( leaves less room for interpertation )

post-2619-1146976003_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...