Sidefolder Installation

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some guidance here. I picked up some Sidefolding trunnions that I'd like to install in my 7.62, 5.45, and Saiga 12. There seems to be some confusion on the 4.5 and 5.5 trunnion. Before I start my projects, I wanted to gather some information before cutting into my receiver.

I've attached some pics of the trunnions I was able to acquire and wanted to find out if there trunnions going to allow me to fire the rifle either open or closed. I've seen some posts about a "no fire" trunnion, and frankly, I'm a little lost.

Can I install these into my Saigas and still fire the rifle? Are these the same trunnions and pins that come on the Arsenal SGLs? Can someone please tell me if there are going to be any complications with these kits?

I should mention that the rifles are currently "fixed stock" rifles and wanted to install a Military correct Sidefolder. Thanks for any and all advice

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

Yes it can be done. Fast forward to 9m 06s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vK0ARvV9qE

There are multiple places the trunnions could have come from. TurboThis makes them on another forum so they could be US made. If they are 5.5mm then chances are their rusky. If they are 4.5 then they could be rusky or bulgarian. There was a small batch of cheap ones made for a builder who's name is slipping my mind currently...

Both of the ones pictured look like 4.5mm.

The "W/O" mark on the one makes me raise an eyebrow. No clue where that's from.

As for installing it please watch the above video. A fair amount of tooling is needed. It will help you come back with more specific questions.

Edited by jamesavery22

I Also have almost the exact same question but could not find any answeres anywhere. I couldn't even find any pics of 7.62 saigas with triangle or with the full Warsaw folding stock. So I guess my question would be what trunnions would I need to get a triangle folder or the full warsaw folder to fit on a saiga 7.62? Are trunnions a one size fits all type of thing or is there a .223 545 and 7.62 size? And where's a good place to get one? Trunnion and stock together if possible

Edited by Yugopap4me

Trianglekit.jpg

For reference here's a picture showing you a complete set of my Russian Izzy parts

If you are wanting the correct russian parts Izhmash 5.5mm pin size trunnion is what you are looking for.

As for tooling saigatechusa makes templates that lay over your rear receiver and gives you the right angles and hole layouts for installing the Russian rear trunnions with nothing but basic tools.

Your parts you have pictured are definitely the 4.5mm pin size, I've never seen markings "W/O" on a Bulgarian trunnion, not saying they aren't.. but I know theres Korean knockoff reproductions out there of the bulgy type trunnions.

Your parts can be installed on any AK, but be advised 4.5 and 5.5 rear trunnion angles are different. Saiga's from Russia come with the 5.5mm pin set. Its the newer stock design, with a different stock angle, the 5.5mm stock will not work on 4.5mm pin trunnion

Edit: to answer your closed stock and fire question, I don't see why that wouldn't be possible with the trunnion you have.

Are you missing all the hardware besides the 4.5mm pin? Do you have a stock?

Edited by Jeluvsk

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I have all the hardware, but I was holding out on the stocks until I could identify what folding assembly I have. Visually, these appear to be the same trunnions and hardware as what comes on the Arsenal SGLs, right? If I remember correctly, Arsenal uses a lot of Bulgarian parts, but they never list what parts they use in their side folding SGLs.

I want to keep my Saiga as close to being fully Russian, but I'm at a loss as far as understanding what differences exist between the 4.5 and 5.5 folder pins. From what information I can find online, is it true that the 4.5 pins have the thinner middle section like the pictures I posted? From what I have read, the 5.5 pins are solid with no thin middle section, right?

As far as the origin of the parts I have, based on the guy I bought them from, he only has Russian and Bulgarian parts. I've seen the W/O stamp on the side before, and I thought it was unique to the Bulgarian side folders.

So, functionality wise, is there a difference between the 4.5 and 5.5 sidefolders? Mentioned above was the angle of the stock. I can't seem to identify any differences from the pictures I've seen. Is there an issue with either latching on the front "securing latch"?

5.5 has a slightly smaller angle to it than the 4.5. The 5.5 has the cut in the trunnion that allows the mechanism that puts the rifle on safe when the stock is folded. Which I've never seen parts for in the States. Only pics of it in Russia.

Other than the angle they are the same.

I wouldn't worry about it. Install em and have fun. Take pics. Lots of them :)