First Siaga rifle - wood stock and handguard question

Howdy howdy! I did a Saiga .410 conversion last year. Had a lot of fun with it and learned a lot. Went with a Ace push button folder, SGM tri-trailer, ATI Scorpion grip and few other doodads here and there.

I just picked up an unconverted Saiga 7.62x39 and am strongly leaning to doing classic Russian red furniture. As I understand it to use standard AK-47 wood furnigture I either need to replace the gas tube with an AK-47 tube and makde some modifications or use the bolt on retainer from Dinzag, right?

I also see the special Saiga furniture at Ironwood Designs here. I like the idea of finishing it myself to make it extra sexy (as per this) plus I'm assuming this will be a better initial fit for the Saiga as well. Just to verify - I will still need to the bolt on retainer (or make the modifications) and AK tube even with this set custom designed for the Saiga, right?

Anybody care to make a case for why I shouldn't got that route or have sources for some original wood furniture that I can possibly pick up on the cheap and re-finish?

Still up in the air what I'm going to do for trigger but plenty of yes, it is; no, it isn't debate to be found elsewhere so no need to clutter things up here.

Ideally you want an AK-74 tube, not an AK-47 or standard AKM tube. The AK-74 tube has an additional spring-loaded tensioner and an additional lip at the RSB to limit gas tube rotation. If you look at the factory tube you'll see that it also has both of these features.

The AK-74 tube also has a relief cut that the other tubes don't have. This relief cut will clear the Dinzag bolt-on retainer. Other tubes may hit the retainer with the front ferrule (the ring securing the heat shield), and may prevent the gas tube from fully seating.

I never had any problems with the Dinzag retainer. It never moved or loosened. I eventually did a full conversion using AK-74 front end parts - not cost effective now, but it was the best deal when you could get a whole AK-74 parts kit for $100.

• Like 1

either one will probably fit, but the AK-74 furniture has specific contours and features that are different from an AK-47 handguard set. e.g. the AK-74 handguards will typically have a "palmswell" grip with recessed cuts that make the handguard easier to hold onto, while AK-47 handguards are usually just flat on the sides.

Hmm - also seems 922r is a little tougher with the rifles.

If I have my count right, if I go with a Bulgarian buttstock and AK74 forend and want to use non-US magazines, I'm going to be forced to keep the pistol grip US made and also replace the gas piston.

That should get me to 10 including a fcg conversion, right?

Edited by drifter_

I would suggest US FCG + US pistol grip + US front handguard (the two parts count as one) + US muzzle device

You are probably going to thread the muzzle at some point so you might as well just do it now as part of compliance and skip replacing the gas piston.

Where does one find an ak74 gas tube for sale?

Thanks

Carl.

I found some used but in good condition at apex gun parts for $35. It will be labeled under Bulgarian AK74 Gas Tube. It looks like it's a hard part to find these days...

Hey thanks a lot!
  • 2 weeks later...

when I had a bolt-on, I never "notched" it, and it didn't move at all.

the Dinzag/CSS bolt-on units have a small set screw on the top that can be used to help secure the retainer and keep it from moving up. you would just crank down the set screw to make a mark on the barrel, remove the retainer, and use a drill (preferably drill press) to make a small dimple in the top of the barrel for the set screw to sink down into when it's threaded in.

the bolt-through units require that the barrel is notched for the cross-bolt to secure the retainer.