Ok my question is, can a fixed stock with the use of a Tromix folding adapter be converted to a folding stock?

I don't want the russian style poly folder because quite honestly I don't want to cut a hole for the locking mechanism and I'm too cheap to pay a smith to do it either. That and smiths around here don't work on AKs, wimps...

Your post is kinda confusing as I don't believe Tromix ever made a folding mechanism and you didn't specify what fixed stock your looking at modifying. Are you asking if you can modify a fixed AK stock to fold to work with an ACE folding mechanism? I believe the answer is yes but someone else should chime in and clarify as I have never attempted this mod.

This one.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/folding-mechanism-p-125.html

*If you notice above it is grouped by the word Tromix.

Home :: Sort By MFG :: Tromix :: Folding Mechanism

So since it never stated who made it, I assumed Tromix made it by grouping.

Anyway I saw a wood folder done with this one (I think...) but what about the polymer folder. (And I did say poly folder.)

Assume it's one of these. http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/kvar-warsaw-stock.htm

I believe that's the ace knock off that some members have had issues with. Spend the extra and buy the ace folding mechanism. I wish I'd have spent even more and went with push button as well. FYI, I doubt Tromix makes it. Looks like MAA is trying to slip one by.

I have seen wood stocks being made to work but will defer the question to someone else who knows if the poly will work or not...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Would the wood be too heavy ie too much stress on the hinge?

GunFun has his rig set up this way. As you can see it's wood, not poly. So wood does work. Shadowfire, maybe you should pm him and ask him what he thinks. Or you can wait, I'm sure someone will come around with the answer.

gallery_17871_1097_1988188.jpg

I'll wait, somebody knows. I doubt this is a new idea. lol biggrin.png

I believe that's the ace knock off that some members have had issues with. Spend the extra and buy the ace folding mechanism. I wish I'd have spent even more and went with push button as well. FYI, I doubt Tromix makes it. Looks like MAA is trying to slip one by.

I have seen wood stocks being made to work but will defer the question to someone else who knows if the poly will work or not...

That's the one I really want is the push button. I'll have to make a note that Ace makes it.

Edited by ShadowFire

Mine is the push button. Here is how: Guide Comfortable Wood Goodness with a modern touch. - Tech Section - forum.Saiga-12.com

Note especially the steel ferrule I made that reinforces the wood and replicates the tang system used for the wood stocks on milled receivers.

Would the wood be too heavy ie too much stress on the hinge?

AK74 wood can be lighter than some plastic. But I stuck a 16 OZ mercury tube in mine and the hinge hasn't noticed.

Both ACE and CSS make push buttons. CSS is a slightly improved version (1 extra set screw with nylon to remove play) of Ace's older style. ACE's new style costs more, but is supposed to be very solid. Mine is ACE old style. It works fine.

AZG's thread has both wood and plastic stock mods. My method is similar, but I think my mounting system for the wood is a bit more refined and durable.

Nice, I like the plate backing idea, I can work with that. Your play has to do with some tolerances. The Ace version I'd bet has more open tollerances. Ace would have to bring it in a little tighter, which I'm suspecting is what they did to the new version, which also tells me why the price is more for the new version, you want better QA and QC, you have to pay for it. lol :D

The old ACE is just the old standard. They are the same tolerances, but both use set screws to take out wiggle. The newer models are a bit beefier, and have have different dimensions to the locking surfaces. They bolt up to the same harware, so I could swap them out if it mattered.

Both have some geometry I would change, primarily by angling the locking lug so that it is trapezoid shaped and a bit bigger. Then it would self center and be easier to push the button when there is a little side load.

honestly, they all work and none break. I think people look for minor BS to nitpick and obsess over. Bottom line- my gun is solid locked open or closed. It fits in a small space, looks good and is comfortable.

Some people also prefer the stormwerkz brand.

• Like 1

The set screws come with it. It is mounted to the stock adapter with (4) aprox 1" 10-32 SHCS. Ace also sells the hinge that is part of the stock adapter, eliminating the need for adapter and screws.

• Like 1

Ahh yeah that would work exactly the way I invisioned it.

I'm betting I can get great accuracy from this set up even though it will be a folder, I already have had good success with my WASR with a push button Romy "wire" folding stock. It has zero side to side lash in the stock and it puts rounds on target, can't ask much more than that. :)