Took my new Shield out to the range to do a break in run on it.  Shot all kinds of crap I've been finding during the scare, Monarch fmj, Herters aluminum case nylon jackets, Tula Steel case, PPU hollow points, and some Hornaday hollow points.  Shot over 300rds and  gun ate every round without a hiccup and kept asking for more.   The magazine's have the stiffest springs I've ever seen.  The tip of my thumb was literally white from pressure loading rounds.  It got better towards the end of the day so I hope they weaken up some with use.    It also shoots really well.   I can easily mag dump into a silhouette from 15yds and not miss a shot with the .40.  Recoil was very managable.   

My only complaint is that it shoots low at point of aim.   I had an idea of removing the rear sight and placing a shim under it to raise it up. 

Crazy or worth a shot?

Bench rest it to be sure it is shooting low and if it is call S&W and send it back. M&P's have great sights how to aim them are in the owners manual but it sounds like you have the wrong sight match up. Shield is a great gun hope it works out for you.

You can insert a laser bore sight and see if this is the problem as well

My fiancee has the 9mm shield. Awesomely fun gun to shoot and you are right about the stiff mag spring her thumb was straight up bruised after 200 rounds. Hers shoots low. My m&p 40 compact shoots low as well. I just compensate on both of them aiming with the front dot resting on the top edge of the rear blade. The 40c is also amazing to shoot my hand definitely lines the thicker grip on it more.