Weird electronic noise on football TV broadcasts?

On the EBS uptick: They are trying to "nationalize" the system. Local station I listen to put it this way. Before now, each state was required to run the test. Last year, they decided to make it a "central hub" in case of National Emergency. It pisses off the local DJ's because there is no warning now when they are testing, and can ruin a good monologue.

I've noticed the random testing too.

They don't say it was a test until after they are done.

It sounds very uncoordinated.

Just another example of a highly efficient centralized government.

Edited by Sim_Player

it would be nice to think of it as digital compression noise but I hate to tell you it's something else. i believe it's sound programming. when I was a young grunt, I was able to take college classes and get my degree so long as it benefited uncle sam and i kept my grades up with the GI beer bill.

I learned all sorts of things to use to make you want to feel a certain way. Pulses of light, colors and tone generation can all be used to make you feel a certain way. My guess is that the tone makes you lethargic and want a drink or to buy something and not change the channel.

Broadcast on the high end is very good at making clean pure audio off the big boards. Compression ratios on HD rarely make distortion at that level of broadcasting. We ran our monitors with a beautiful amp and flat to simulate a television speaker in the control room. If any audio problems were there, it was corrected or had noise reduction applied. All levels from a high end broadcast are balanced so commercials and programs are equalized.

They used noise just before hitlers speeches to make people feel angry and sick. They turned it off just before his speech and people associated that scum fuck with pleasure and relief. Imagine what has progressed since then. Coke uses red as does Mc D's It's an aggressive color. They use sounds as well..

I had a friend get dishonorably discharged for waving some odd frequency devices on either side of his C.O.'s head and screwing him up when he was pissed over something.  I don't know what frequencies they were playing with, but it was enough to make his C.O. puke and pass out. This was back in early 00's, so I know you are absolutely right about them playing 'round with this stuff in ways they ought not.  Behold the new face of warfare.

Anti-piracy tech, I'd be willing to bet.

That was my first guess. It could also be something interfering with the COAX run to the television.  A poorly crimped, bent, statically charged, or unshielded cable can do some really funny things, making some channels snowey or making some other channels have audio problems along certain frequencies of the audio/video spectrum. 

Oddly enough I had the cable techs out to my house for an unrelated problem, and all the tv cables and their crimps are fine. I noticed the noise before the cable tech came out, and still have it going on. As I stated, it's BAD on NFL broadcasts, and usually SCREAMS on the Sunday Night NFL game....

• 10 years later...