Just got an e-mail from Wideners on ammunition specials. Under their logo header it say "Don't miss these BLOW OUT sale prices. Large 2014 price increases are coming."

So what say you? Any body heard about big price hike coming for 2014? I think it's BS to increase slow sales since everyone is cash poor.

• Like 1

Prices sure as hell aren't coming down.  Centerfire ammo is close to it's pre-panic price.  I can't see it going lower.  Rimfire ammo is never coming back to pre-panic prices.

Today is a good day to buy ammo.

Depends. Demand for ammo could fuel the development of cheaper ammo.. Bi-metal jackets are accepted as not armor piercing. Its possible that new methods could produce ammo that is lead and copper free, using poly bonded iron which would shave a large part of the cost off. 

I've heard rumors of an E.22lr or .22lrE which is supposed to be rimfire ammo designed to be made with steel or aluminum cases and bi-metal bullets, it likely won't be compatible with older rifles.

If that ever happens rimfire ammo costs could plummet.

• Like 1

Depends. Demand for ammo could fuel the development of cheaper ammo.. Bi-metal jackets are accepted as not armor piercing. Its possible that new methods could produce ammo that is lead and copper free, using poly bonded iron which would shave a large part of the cost off. 

I've heard rumors of an E.22lr or .22lrE which is supposed to be rimfire ammo designed to be made with steel or aluminum cases and bi-metal bullets, it likely won't be compatible with older rifles.

If that ever happens rimfire ammo costs could plummet.

Steel-cased .22 has been around for a long time. I figure it's not very good for firing pins, since even mild steel is not nearly as soft as brass. There'd be no reason why it shouldn't be compatible with old rifles, so long as the pressures are the same. Copper-plated rounds are perfectly safe in old guns - no reason I can think of that a bi-metal bullet wouldn't be.

Could be a similar tactic used for gas prices.

Spike the price due to some excuse, then lower it almost--but not at, or below--to pre-spike prices, then hold it there until the people 'get used' to paying it.

Spike the price again a couple years down the road, then repeat, slowly and surely making so expensive, but necessary, to conduct our way of life, we have to make personal financial sacrifices elsewhere, or choose not to do it at all.

Edited by Photoguy