What ave you guys found for a .308 handguard retainer??

Don't think there is a 'clean' way of doing it without swapping the gas block out. I haven't heard of anyway to install the standard two piece AK handguard and have it look decent. To do right you have to have the proper kind of press to slide the gas blocks on and off the barrel, and of course you have to remove the front sight. At least that's what I've read. Also, I'm assuming you want this look:

http://www.elitefirearms.net/images/308saigawood750.jpg

Check the rest of that website and you'll see he mentions swapping the gas block on the higher end conversions. It does drive up the cost so it must not be very easy.

I think some guys on this board have modified the Tapco Galil handguard so it looks pretty good and stays in place.

Don't think there is a 'clean' way of doing it without swapping the gas block out. I haven't heard of anyway to install the standard two piece AK handguard and have it look decent. To do right you have to have the proper kind of press to slide the gas blocks on and off the barrel, and of course you have to remove the front sight. At least that's what I've read. Also, I'm assuming you want this look:

http://www.elitefirearms.net/images/308saigawood750.jpg

Check the rest of that website and you'll see he mentions swapping the gas block on the higher end conversions. It does drive up the cost so it must not be very easy.

I think some guys on this board have modified the Tapco Galil handguard so it looks pretty good and stays in place.

Thats what I am in the middle of doing. The sight and gas block came right off, apparently mine was an early import. It looks as if I will have to fabricate a custom hanguard retainer. An RPK retainer would be the ticket, but are unavailable. I do not like the durability of the Tapco Galil style handguards. A couple of people reported the top section broke. I will wait and watch or build one when time and weather permit. Thanks Scott