Fiocchi

My gun shoots remington gun club on position two out of the factory box mag. Has some FTE on gun club from drum.

Fiochi low recoil was FTE without a mag at all, single shell wouldn't eject!

Love shooting them though! Very accurate out of a smooth bore! Just not a good round for a saiga without a much better gas system.

I've been using them for years and they work great but I have a shortened gas system made for light loads.  When finding new loads I usually buy at least 25 rounds of several different brands and shoot them for operation and accuracy.  In a regular Saiga you will want to go with a load that runs a minimum of 1500 FPS.  Loads around 1300 FPS will probably not function 100%.

Doug

• Like 1

I can't get the Fiocchi low recoil  to run reliably.  I suggest  Fiocchi Part # 12LESLUG  7/8 oz 1300 fps slug.  These run 100% for me with stock gas ports.  Feels like low recoil due to the 7/8 oz weight, but has enough gas to run the gun. 

• Like 1

I've been using them for years and they work great but I have a shortened gas system made for light loads.  When finding new loads I usually buy at least 25 rounds of several different brands and shoot them for operation and accuracy.  In a regular Saiga you will want to go with a load that runs a minimum of 1500 FPS.  Loads around 1300 FPS will probably not function 100%.

Doug

Have you used a stock S12 Doug? Those numbers seem a lot stiffer than they need to be for a standard S12. I'm pretty sure most everyone would do fine with 1300 FPS 1 oz loads or faster.  

1 oz loads at nominal 1235 FPS run fine in both of my full length saigas, and 1300 FPS ones do fine. 1200 FPS 1 oz B&P do not. I also had no problems with a case of Nobelsport .650 roundball at 1400 FPS that I got a deal on a while ago.  I just tried to look up the weight on that, because I know it is considerably under an ounce- and the first few hits were people with the same ammo saying that it ran well in their S12s....

By the charts, I would expect mine should do fine with  7/8 oz loads at 1270 or faster.

When I looked at different slug loads they seem to group into reduced recoil loads and full power loads. I put the Ficcohi 12LE slug in the low power catagory. With a 7/8 oz slug running at a listed 1300 fps (chronoed at 1125 out of my gun) it gives a power factor of 497.7 and a 1 1/8 oz load at 1150 fps gives a power factor of 566.0. That means that a Fiocchi 12LE slug is running less power than common bulk ammo guys get at Walmart. If your gun runs that stuff it could still be marginal with the 12LE. Fiocchi also makes a 1 oz low power slug that even my guns won't cycle and B&P makes a low power slug that won't run in my guns. Bottom line is I would never recommend shooting any ammunition in any gun for a serious purpose, especially reduced power ammo,without extensive testing in your particular gun.

Doug

Just a comment, clean gun, lubed with hoppes oil, no magazine (sorry mag was loaded but wanted to fire a slug so I just dropped one in) it ejected pretty well. But not really any true data as I had no mag, but the round itself was good.

This was fresh cleaned all around, and WET with the hoppes high viscosity, no mag, clean ejection of Fiochi low recoil 1oz 1150 fps actually have the round in hand for this post.

I was using power factor (wt. in grains x velocity / 1000) because there is more to the story than just velocity.  A 1 oz slug weighs 437.5 grains.  Slugs are usually 1 oz or less and shot loads are normally 1 1/8 oz. (492.2 grains).  Yes, I know there are lots of different choices but these are the basics.  Bulk 12 ga normally is around 1150 fps which gives the 566.0 power factor.  A 7/8 oz slug weighs 382.8 grains and would have to go 1479 fps to reach the same power factor.  This is how I came up with the numbers in my first post.  

Here is a link to the JBM Power Factor calculator.  JBM has a bunch of great free calculators on their website. http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmpf-5.1.cgi

Doug