Do your kids/grandkids play with toy guns?

Well my first son Samuel was born this Thursday, and you better believe he will be getting some toy guns. Every time I go into Toys R Us I look at the Nerf and Super Soakers and smile. Seriously have you guys looked at how awesome the Nerf guns are now? They have AR style Nerf rifles that have removable box magazines and all. Come on, that's badass. When I was a kid, we just had the single-pump tube Nerf guns that shot the foam balls with lousy accuracy.

He already has several BB guns and .22s with his name on 'em, and one of my Bulgarian AK-74 (in 5.56) parts kits in the closet will be built just for him. If he doesn't enjoy shooting, I'll be a little disappointed, but that's fine.

Toy guns were just not even questioned when I was a kid, and it wasn't that long ago either. We shot at each other with cap guns, had massive Super Soaker and Nerf fights, and shot whatever you could think of with BB guns. None of us turned out to be murderers. One of my friends did shoot himself IN HIS OWN ASS with a CO2 pistol when we were teenagers, though. I never figured out how he did that.

The only thing I wish I had done more in my childhood was shoot real guns. I didn't get my first .22 until I was about 13, and I think before that I may have shot my dad's .300 Savage maybe a handful of times. Before I got that Marlin 60, there were only two real guns in the house, both were my dad's hunting rifles. My dad has never really been much of a casual shooter, and only goes to the range to sight in before hunting season.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

Well my first son Samuel was born this Thursday, and you better believe he will be getting some toy guns. Every time I go into Toys R Us I look at the Nerf and Super Soakers and smile. Seriously have you guys looked at how awesome the Nerf guns are now? They have AR style Nerf rifles that have removable box magazines and all. Come on, that's badass. When I was a kid, we just had the single-pump tube Nerf guns that shot the foam balls with lousy accuracy.

He already has several BB guns and .22s with his name on 'em, and one of my Bulgarian AK-74 (in 5.56) parts kits in the closet will be built just for him. If he doesn't enjoy shooting, I'll be a little disappointed, but that's fine.

Toy guns were just not even questioned when I was a kid, and it wasn't that long ago either. We shot at each other with cap guns, had massive Super Soaker and Nerf fights, and shot whatever you could think of with BB guns. None of us turned out to be murderers. One of my friends did shoot himself IN HIS OWN ASS with a CO2 pistol when we were teenagers, though. I never figured out how he did that.

The only thing I wish I had done more in my childhood was shoot real guns. I didn't get my first .22 until I was about 13, and I think before that I may have shot my dad's .300 Savage maybe a handful of times. Before I got that Marlin 60, there were only two real guns in the house, both were my dad's hunting rifles. My dad has never really been much of a casual shooter, and only goes to the range to sight in before hunting season.

Well congratulations on the little man~ cat. That's super cool.

• Like 1

I dont mind the varied responses, thats why we're here.

Im kind of curious because we're at a threshold here with where we want to go. So far, son has never shown the slightest interest in guns. He is aware of them and not to touch mine without asking, but he has never asked. In toy stores, he walks right by them to look at other toys. He plays games with other kids at school, but usually cooperative games. I think part of his disinterest is that we are careful with what media he is exposed to. We dont have TV, just Netflix and Blu-Rays, so he doesnt even see commercials that we dont like.

It doesnt help that there arent really 'neighborhood kids' around here. What would have been his two best friends in the 'old days' are today a severely autistic neighbor, and a 5YO kid across the street whose mom literally never lets him outside. The poor kid stares out his front window all summer watching my kids play in the front. Son now has a bike now though, so im hoping he hooks up with some of the other kids around.

mancat: congrats! Though you will find, if you have time to post online, you should probably be using that time to sleep instead. I, and many I have spoken to, find that the first 3 months sucks worse than anything in your life. Then the next 3 suck slightly less. At a year, it becomes tolerable, even fun. After that its a steady climb up, with bumps occasionally, to that glorious day when they can use the toilet on their own.

mancat: congrats! Though you will find, if you have time to post online, you should probably be using that time to sleep instead. I, and many I have spoken to, find that the first 3 months sucks worse than anything in your life. Then the next 3 suck slightly less. At a year, it becomes tolerable, even fun. After that its a steady climb up, with bumps occasionally, to that glorious day when they can use the toilet on their own.

I was posting from the hospital mostly the last two days.. First day home is tonight, but her mom is staying to help for the first week or so. I function Ok with minimal sleep. We'll see how that holds up after a few months.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1