Polychoke Flash

Rifled slugs shoot best through cylinder or improved cylinder chokes. I would just try each one for the best group with the slugs  - disregarding point of impact from center of the target - until you find what works best, then sight it in for that setting.

My understanding of it is that it should wide open for slugs, that's how I run mine. Start with it wide open for buckshot and close down on it till you find your best grouping. Guns will react differently from one another, different ammo manufacturers will also change things.

• Like 1

It would be a problem with a slug, but not shot. If you were to fire buck shot through a full choke, it would not damage the barrel, but it would not be as accurate because the shot would deform slightly when passing through the choke, and not fly as true after it left the barrel. The attached chart will give you an idea of suggested choke settings for shot, and the distances it performs best at on that setting. As I said before, slugs seem to perform best on cylinder - improved cylinder, and you should test to see what works best out of your barrel.

Shotgun Choke Yardage Shotgun Choke Restriction
Diameter difference between bore and shotgun choke Cylinder < 20 0 Skeet 22.5 .005 of an inch Improved Cylinder 25 .010 Light Modified 30 .015 Modified 32.5 .020 Improved Modified 35 .025 Light Full 37.5 .030 Full 40 or More .035 Extra Full 40 or More .040