I'm looking at buy a new to me car, always been a ford guy(except the camaro). Found a '04 Grand Cherokee overland edition with 94000 miles on it. More power and better mileage than my Bronco.

My other half only said yes cause it has heated seats. =)

If it's a 4.0 GC, I say go for it. Otherwise I'd pass on it. That's just based on my experiences with them

(I'm not totally sure you could get a 4.0 in '04)

Edited by Maxwelhse

Its the 4.7 HO motor. Biggest issue on those is the cooling system, gonna add a tranny cooler lower temp tstat and high flow water pump. Should head off any issues doing that. Getting a new job in two weeks that pays $7 more an hour so might be buying another car to replace the fiancés Pontiac too.

Was looking for one with the I6 motor but around here the V8s well for about $1000 less so...

My commute is 2 miles, the 1 mpg diffenece would take a while to bridge that price gap.

The I6 gets terrible fuel mileage too so that's a non argument. The V8 itself is "alright", but the tranny and rear are completely insufficient to utilize the additional power (this is especially true of GCs with the aluminum Dana 44 rear end). The 4.0 GCs are basically bulletproof and the power difference in terms of real world work they can do is basically negligible. I do know that there is a heavy duty hydraulic fan option available for the V8. It runs off the PS pump. No amount of coolers are going to save the questionable transmission though.

In the mileage and age range you're looking at I would be considering other options.

GC wasn't my first choice. Was originally looking for a Cherokee but allnpf them are complete rot boxes or 220k miles or more . I checked out 8 of them last Monday and no dice. I haven't bought the GC yet gotta go test drive it and get a price. Was picked up at a dealer auction by one of my customers, he knew I was looking and is giving me first dibs. I'd rather pay to rebuild the diff or tranny in that than in the bronco, which the tranny is starting to shudder and the diff is singing on the highway. And the ford needs a steering gearbox fenders steering column brakes windshield, not putting that kinda money into the truck. This shop also offers a warranty and its one of the oldest shops in town and a good rep, if something breaks hell take care of me or I'll burn his garage down. =) j/k

Edited by 86camaro

If you do end up an an AL housing 44 and have problems do NOT rebuild it since that won't fix the problem for long.. Just toss it an get an iron 44. An XJ would be nice, but you're right... I'd be Wrangler shopping myself but the budget for that doubles.

I totally understand putting your Bronco out to pasture. Sometimes you have to cut the cord and send them down the next owner's road.

Edited by Maxwelhse

The problem with wranglers is I like being able to put things in my vehicles lol, and people do charge a premium for them, even worse then the xjs which are bad in my area. I'll keep your advice in mind on that 44, hopefully I won't need to worry about it anytime soon.

Without the backseat my 2 door TJ can move a washing machine. :) They're not as bad as people think, but yes, you are cargo, and passenger (a plus in my opinion), limited and they ARE expensive. Mine has been very good to me and the deal was literally too good to turn down. They hold their value incredibly well.

She wants a wrangler so I might buy one eventually, she also wants a ford raptor. I said good luck lol.

I still want something 2 door , low, and v8 but that's not practical and ... fuck. I'm gonna go look up some fun cars!