Best Choke for Trap and Sporting clays?

Best Choke for Trap and Sporting clays Saiga 12 24" barrel  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Best Choke for Trap and Sporting clays

• Poly Choke II
    • SGM Choke set
    • Another choke, please post in comments

I vote for the PolyChoke II. Maybe not the best (due to its bulky size), but definitely the most versatile!

This might help a little...

http://www.briley.com/understandingshotgunchokesabriefexplanationbybriley.aspx

Edited by 7.62m43

Either get the winchoke adapter and a cheap winchoke set, or get your barrel internally threaded.

If you have a 24" barrel, you probably already have a fixed full choke.

Either get the winchoke adapter and a cheap winchoke set, or get your barrel internally threaded.

The barrel came externally threaded.  Is there a way to tell if it is full choke?

The barrel came externally threaded.  Is there a way to tell if it is full choke?

The S12 barrels are "cylinder bore" or nominal .729" ID, meaning they have no choke constriction to them. The amount of constriction for "full" choke is .030" - so if you had a barrel with full choke, it would measure .699" (+or-) ID at the muzzle. The external chokes offered by Izhmash and a few aftermarket companies are your only option unless you modify the barrel to accept choke systems by other manufacturers (Rem choke, Win choke, etc.).

• Like 1

The majority of 24" barrels made by izh have a "full" constriction. A few, mostly for the UK and other markets which require inordinantly long barrels are cylinder. Most of the full choke early RAA imports to the USA did not have threads, but some did.

A lot of people at first got 24" full choke barrels and choped them to 18", which I believe were a little more open than the standard cylinder bore barrels. If someone has an 18" gun with no threads, odds are this is what was done to their gun. Odds are equally good that one of the people pining for a  now hard to find 24" full choke gun is tearing up at the thought.

Any owner of a long barrel should check with calipers and see what he's really got before sticking another devise on the end.

Further, I didn't modify my barrel, and I use winchokes, using an adapter which I bought from  Cobra- a vendor on this forum. I'd prefer internal chokes, but this is still a pretty good way to do it and IMO better than any of the factory or factory style chokes.

• Like 1

What length IS your barrel?

They (Izhmash) don't mention any choke constriction in the specifications of any of their barrels currently produced. As for very early (US) imports that might have a choke and a threaded barrel, they make up a very small minority of guns out there, as most were cut down due to the owners wanting, but not being able to get the shorter barrel length. 

Due to the loose manufacturing tolerances and poor quality control, it is possible that those longer barrels that were cut down might be slightly over the nominal ID, but they were not manufactured with a back bore (which is rarely used on anything but high end barrels), and would not vary by more than a couple thousands of an inch over or under "cylinder" bore.

I guess I should have clarified that adapters (to use internal choke tubes) are available from a couple of sources, but they do NOT require the modification of the barrel with internal threads as mentioned in post #4, and are still "external" in my opinion. They do offer a wider variety of choke options, and the choke tubes are (comparatively) inexpensive. 

Bottom line - if you are planning on using your S12 for a wide variety of applications - you should decide if you want to spend the money to have your barrel internally threaded, have an adapter screwed on the end of you barrel and invest in a bunch of chokes, or have the PolyChoke II attached the same way and just turn it to the desired choke. If you will be using it with only one or MAYBE two different choke constrictions - save your money and get a single choke!

Edit - I wanted to have a choke(s) AND a functional flash hider, so I went with the option that gave me both..... http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S12-PolyChoke-II-FLASH

molotvepr12006.jpg

Edited by 7.62m43
  • Like 1

What length IS your barrel?

They (Izhmash) don't mention any choke constriction in the specifications of any of their barrels currently produced. As for very early (US) imports that might have a choke and a threaded barrel, they make up a very small minority of guns out there, as most were cut down due to the owners wanting, but not being able to get the shorter barrel length. 

Due to the loose manufacturing tolerances and poor quality control, it is possible that those longer barrels that were cut down might be slightly over the nominal ID, but they were not manufactured with a back bore (which is rarely used on anything but high end barrels), and would not vary by more than a couple thousands of an inch over or under "cylinder" bore.

I guess I should have clarified that adapters (to use internal choke tubes) are available from a couple of sources, but they do NOT require the modification of the barrel with internal threads as mentioned in post #4, and are still "external" in my opinion. They do offer a wider variety of choke options, and the choke tubes are (comparatively) inexpensive. 

Bottom line - if you are planning on using your S12 for a wide variety of applications - you should decide if you want to spend the money to have your barrel internally threaded, have an adapter screwed on the end of you barrel and invest in a bunch of chokes, or have the PolyChoke II attached the same way and just turn it to the desired choke. If you will be using it with only one or MAYBE two different choke constrictions - save your money and get a single choke!

Edit - I wanted to have a choke(s) AND a functional flash hider, so I went with the option that gave me both..... http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S12-PolyChoke-II-FLASH

molotvepr12006.jpg

So it is safe to say that you are satisfied with your PolyChoke?  I am really trying to decide between the Poly and the SGM at this point for sporting clays.

It just made the most sense to me. This is what it came down to in my mind...

SGM chokes - $45.00 each or $95.00 for a set of three (modified, full, extra full) - but that did not give me the option of a flash hider

SGM chokes with external threads - $55.00 each (only available in full or modified) - plus another $35.00 for the US made Russian 10 slot flash hider

Choke tube adapter (various vendors) - about $35.00 - $45.00 for the adapter plus the cost of the choke tubes ($15.00 and up, and available in a wide variety of choke constrictions) - but still no flash hider. Some are made to look like a flash hider on the outside, but the slots are just for looks.

PolyChoke II -  $100.00 - gives you 9 choke settings from Reverse #2 through Extra full that require no changing, just twist to the desired setting and shoot AND it has a flash hider built in!

Is it perfect? No - it is a little bulky, but I am definitely satisfied with the way it works! If you wanted to have internal tubes and a flash hider, it would be difficult to have threads on the outside AND the inside of the barrel (just not enough material there for both). You would have to cut the barrel back past the factory threads, internally thread the barrel for the tubes, ream out the threads on a flash hider and silver solder it to the barrel. You would still have to change the tubes with a wrench, BUT you could have a short barrel because if the flash hider is permanently attached, it counts as PART of the barrel! So the overall length WITH the flash hider could be brought back to 18.25". Cool - but it will cost you!

• Like 2